TEI membership campaign about to start!

Laurent Romary

Dear TEI community,

As announced in December, the TEI-C Board of Directors is about to start a membership campaign that will result in a localized banner that will appear on select TEI-C website pages including the guidelines.

The work of the TEI Consortium relies entirely on the personal and institutional memberships that many of you and your institutions generously hold.  Membership to the TEI-C supports the:

  • important work by the TEI-C Technical Council, which maintains and evolves the TEI Encoding Guidelines in response to the TEI community’s needs
  • oversight of the TEI Consortium and long-term and strategic planning for the organization by the TEI-C Board of Directors
  • annual TEI-C Members’ Meeting and Conference
  • developments of publishing platforms/environments such as TAPAS and TEI Publisher
  • scholarly communication for the TEI Community through the Journal of the Text Encoding Initiative
  • and more!

Many thanks in advance for your support, and for those of you who are already convinced, join right away under:  http://members.tei-c.org/Join. [1]

For the TEI-C Board of Directors,

Laurent

[1] Please note that in 2017, the TEI-C Board of Directors implemented an alternative to the $50 USD annual individual membership fee.  If this is not feasible, we encourage donations at any amount in exchange for a one-year individual membership to the TEI Consortium.

Re: TEI membership campaign about to start!

James Cummings-5

Hi Laurent (and TEI-C),

An excellent message and reminder for TEI memberships!

While we call them 'institutional' memberships we should be clear that these are open to all sorts of groups, not just large educational institutions, but smaller groups of all sizes especially research projects. At the highly affordable $250 (Supporter) or $500 (Contributor), it seems like any researcher putting in a funding application for a project that uses the TEI should strongly consider putting in project membership of the TEI for the project's duration. (Compared to the other expenses on most research projects, I wouldn't think this would rock the boat.)

As I've moved to an institution which is not, yet, and institutional member I'll put this in any suitable research project funding I go for.

Many thanks,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]

School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University

[1] Please note that in 2017, the TEI-C Board of Directors implemented an alternative to the $50 USD annual individual membership fee.  If this is not feasible, we encourage donations at any amount in exchange for a one-year individual membership to the TEI Consortium.

Re: TEI membership campaign about to start!

Paul Schaffner
Can someone remind me of who now is responsible for invoicing and
tracking institutional memberships and payments? I was able to
confirm at the last MM that Michigan was indeed a paid-up institutional
member -- but never received the usual annual invoice in December or
January, so far as I can tell. I would hate for us to drop out of
support by mere inadvertence. (I do so many things that way.)

pfs

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 12:32, James Cummings wrote:

> Hi Laurent (and TEI-C),
>

> An excellent message and reminder for TEI memberships!
>

> While we call them 'institutional' memberships we should be clear that
> these are open to all sorts of groups, not just large educational
> institutions, but smaller groups of all sizes especially research
> projects. At the highly affordable $250 (Supporter) or $500
> (Contributor), it seems like any researcher putting in a funding
> application for a project that uses the TEI should strongly consider
> putting in project membership of the TEI for the project's duration.
> (Compared to the other expenses on most research projects, I wouldn't
> think this would rock the boat.)
>

> As I've moved to an institution which is not, yet, and institutional
> member I'll put this in any suitable research project funding I go for.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> James
>

> --
>
> Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]
>
> School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University
>
> ________________________________

Paul Schaffner  Digital Content & Collections
University of Michigan Libraries
[hidden email] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/

Re: TEI membership campaign about to start!

Laurent Romary
For inquiries concerning specific membership status please get to me in PM and I’ll check the database for you.

We also know the issue of having a single paiement method for individuals (i.e. by means of PayPal), which seems to be a real pain in some countries (Germany) and actually not that simple to solve given the tools we use.

Laurent

Sent: 27 March 2018 07:12:29
To: [hidden email]

[...]

Inria, team ALMAnaCH

Re: TEI membership campaign about to start!

David Maus
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 18:56:05 +0200,
Laurent Romary wrote:

> We also know the issue of having a single paiement method for
> individuals (i.e. by means of PayPal), which seems to be a real pain
> in some countries (Germany) and actually not that simple to solve
> given the tools we use.

I dropped my TEI membership because Paypal didn't let me pay the
membership fee and the only alternative was wiring the money. The fees
for wire transfer from Germany to US are almost as much as the TEI
membership fee itself.

Best,
  -- David

> Laurent
>
>  Le 27 mars 2018 à 18:44, Paul Schaffner <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>  Can someone remind me of who now is responsible for invoicing and
>  tracking institutional memberships and payments? I was able to
>  confirm at the last MM that Michigan was indeed a paid-up institutional
>  member -- but never received the usual annual invoice in December or
>  January, so far as I can tell. I would hate for us to drop out of
>  support by mere inadvertence. (I do so many things that way.)
>
>  pfs
>
>  On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 12:32, James Cummings wrote:
>
>  Hi Laurent (and TEI-C),
>
>  An excellent message and reminder for TEI memberships!
>
>  While we call them 'institutional' memberships we should be clear that
>  these are open to all sorts of groups, not just large educational
>  institutions, but smaller groups of all sizes especially research
>  projects. At the highly affordable $250 (Supporter) or $500
>  (Contributor), it seems like any researcher putting in a funding
>  application for a project that uses the TEI should strongly consider
>  putting in project membership of the TEI for the project's duration.
>  (Compared to the other expenses on most research projects, I wouldn't
>  think this would rock the boat.)
>
>  As I've moved to an institution which is not, yet, and institutional
>  member I'll put this in any suitable research project funding I go for.
>
>  Many thanks,
>
>  James
>
>  --
>
>  Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]
>
>  School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University
>
>  ________________________________

David Maus, Informationsarchitekt & Datenmanager
Herzog August Bibliothek, D-38299 Wolfenbüttel, Phone +49 5331 808-317
PGP Key 0x292EB8E568C7E0C9
dmaus.name ~ github.com/dmj ~ twitter.com/_dmaus

Re: TEI membership campaign about to start!

Hugh Cayless-2
We're looking at the possibility of switching to a different payment gateway with better international support. If members or prospective members in Germany can contact me at [hidden email], I am told that that I can initiate an invoice through PayPal that you would be able to pay. But we're aware the situation is less than ideal.

All the best,
Hugh

Laurent Romary wrote:

> We also know the issue of having a single paiement method for
> individuals (i.e. by means of PayPal), which seems to be a real pain
> in some countries (Germany) and actually not that simple to solve
> given the tools we use.

I dropped my TEI membership because Paypal didn't let me pay the
membership fee and the only alternative was wiring the money. The fees
for wire transfer from Germany to US are almost as much as the TEI
membership fee itself.

Best,
  -- David

> Laurent
>
>  Le 27 mars 2018 à 18:44, Paul Schaffner <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>  Can someone remind me of who now is responsible for invoicing and
>  tracking institutional memberships and payments? I was able to
>  confirm at the last MM that Michigan was indeed a paid-up institutional
>  member -- but never received the usual annual invoice in December or
>  January, so far as I can tell. I would hate for us to drop out of
>  support by mere inadvertence. (I do so many things that way.)
>
>  pfs
>
>  On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, at 12:32, James Cummings wrote:
>
>  Hi Laurent (and TEI-C),
>
>  An excellent message and reminder for TEI memberships!
>
>  While we call them 'institutional' memberships we should be clear that
>  these are open to all sorts of groups, not just large educational
>  institutions, but smaller groups of all sizes especially research
>  projects. At the highly affordable $250 (Supporter) or $500
>  (Contributor), it seems like any researcher putting in a funding
>  application for a project that uses the TEI should strongly consider
>  putting in project membership of the TEI for the project's duration.
>  (Compared to the other expenses on most research projects, I wouldn't
>  think this would rock the boat.)
>
>  As I've moved to an institution which is not, yet, and institutional
>  member I'll put this in any suitable research project funding I go for.
>
>  Many thanks,
>
>  James
>
>  --
>
>  Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]
>
>  School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University

Herzog August Bibliothek, D-38299 Wolfenbüttel, Phone <a href="tel:%2B49%205331%20808-317" value="+495331808317">+49 5331 808-317