Text Languages

Mike Engle
Hi everyone

We are encoding translations  and want to include in the header that a translation was created from one language into another with the use of another language for revision.   For instance, a text is translated into English from Chinese using Sanskrit for revision.

My problem is that I don't really know how to tag this within the teiHeader.  One suggestion was to use textLang in the title statement, but that seems like the wrong tag.  I've also thought about using <langUsage> in the <profileDesc>, but it also seems to not to be entirely correct.

I've been leaning towards using <creation> within the <profileDesc> because that seems like an appropriate place to do it, as such:

<profileDesc>´
            <creation>
                <list type="languageUsed">
                    <item type="translation">English</item>
                    <item type="source">Chinese</item>
                    <item type="revision">Sanskrit</item>
                </list>
            </creation>

At the same time this feels fairly unsatisfactory to me.

I've been looking extensively through the guidelines and couldn't find an answer.  Any suggestions about how to handle this are welcome.

Thanks

Michael

Re: Text Languages

Laurent Romary
Hi Mike,
My gut feeling would be to describe the various sources in <sourceDesc> as separate bibliographical entries, having indeed a <textLang> in each of them. I would limit <langUsage>  to the description of your target document (here in English, if I understand correctly).
Best regards,
Laurent

Le 23 août 2017 à 11:59, Mike Engle <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Inria, team ALMAnaCH