Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Sylvain Féjoz
Hello,
I am looking for a tool converting TEI files to EPUB files.
Does anyone have any experience in the choice of a tool among the ones available?
Note: I tried http://www.tei-c.org/ege-webclient/ but I got an error message during the converting process.
Thanks for your help.

Sylvain Féjoz
Bibliothèque de Genève

Re: Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Martin Mueller

We do this routinely at our site https://earlyprint.org. I’m not the ‘techie’ on that site and don’t know how easy it is to extrapolate. I cc my savvier colleagues. The site itself is based to a considerable extent on eXist’s TEI Publisher.

Re: Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Joe Wicentowski
Hi Sylvain,

You might check out TEI Publisher [1], a free, open source tool that implements the TEI Processing Model [2] for indicating how you want to transform your TEI into different media, including EPUB:

Joe

Bibliothèque de Genève

Re: Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Peter Stadler
You could try https://oxgarage-paderborn.tei-c.org which is build on the development version of OxGarage and fixes some known bugs.
If that fails as well I’d be curious to hear more details (here or at https://github.com/TEIC/oxgarage/issues)…

Best
Peter

> Am 18.05.2018 um 19:13 schrieb Hugh Cayless <[hidden email]>:
>
> The TEI Stylesheets will do this kind of conversion—and indeed are the thing behind OxGarage. So if that's failing, it might point to a Stylesheets bug. If you can report the details of how it fails at https://github.com/TEIC/oxgarage/issues, we might be able to do something about it.
>
> Thanks,
> Hugh
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Sylvain Féjoz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a tool converting TEI files to EPUB files.
> Does anyone have any experience in the choice of a tool among the ones available?
> Note: I tried http://www.tei-c.org/ege-webclient/ but I got an error message during the converting process.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Sylvain Féjoz
> Bibliothèque de Genève

Re: Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Peter Flynn-8
On 18/05/18 17:07, Sylvain F éjoz wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a tool converting TEI files to EPUB files.
> Does anyone have any experience in the choice of a tool among the ones
> available?
> Note: I tried http://www.tei-c.org/ege-webclient/but I got an error
> message during the converting process.
I believe there are several, but I ended up writing my own in XSLT,
driven by a short shell script so it's now part of my Makefile.

I am presenting some aspects of this in my session on creating ePubs in
the Hands-On Digital Publishing track at the XML Summer School in Oxford
(9–14 Sept, http://xmlsummerschool.com).

///Peter
--
Peter Flynn | Human Factors Research Group | School of Applied
Psychology | 🏫 University College Cork | 🇮🇪 Ireland | ☎ +353 21 490
2609 | ✉ [hidden email] | 🌍 research.ucc.ie/A011/pflynn

Re: Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Neven Jovanović
Dear All,

it was very easy to produce epub from TEI in oXygen (v. 20) using the
pre-installed TEI P5 EPUB stylesheet, automatically available as a
"TEI P5 scenario" for XSLT transformation of any TEI document. But I
was not satisfied with what the result looked like, so I ended up
transforming TEI first to HTML in oXygen (TEI P5 XHTML scenario), then
tweaking the CSS to suit my taste, and finally using pandoc [1] to
produce epub from html (pandoc -f html -t epub3... etc).

Best,

Neven

Neven Jovanovic, Zagreb, Croatia

[1] <http://pandoc.org/>

On 18 May 2018 at 21:33, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/05/18 17:07, Sylvain F éjoz wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am looking for a tool converting TEI files to EPUB files.
>> Does anyone have any experience in the choice of a tool among the ones
>> available?
>> Note: I tried http://www.tei-c.org/ege-webclient/but I got an error
>> message during the converting process.
> I believe there are several, but I ended up writing my own in XSLT,
> driven by a short shell script so it's now part of my Makefile.
>
> I am presenting some aspects of this in my session on creating ePubs in
> the Hands-On Digital Publishing track at the XML Summer School in Oxford
> (9–14 Sept, http://xmlsummerschool.com).
>
> ///Peter
> --
> Peter Flynn | Human Factors Research Group | School of Applied
> Psychology | 🏫 University College Cork | 🇮🇪 Ireland | ☎ +353 21 490
> 2609 | ✉ [hidden email] | 🌍 research.ucc.ie/A011/pflynn

Re: Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files

Sylvain Féjoz
Hello everyone,
Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question.
I hope I can test your different solutions soon.
Best regards,
Sylvain
Bibliothèque de Genève
http://institutions.ville-geneve.ch/fr/bge/

De :        Sylvain Féjoz <[hidden email]>
A :        [hidden email]
Date :        18.05.2018 19:17
Objet :        Tool for converting TEI files to EPUB files
Envoyé par :        "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list" <[hidden email]>