Versioning of editions

Hayim Lapin
Dear all,
The discussion of tracking workflow in TEI documents came at a time that we have been discussing adding version numbers in to follow along with major revisions. Our project is transcriptions of manuscripts, so versioning would include major features such as fuller handling of abbreviations, changes to handling of paratext or metadata, and so on.
Two possibilities seem to fit our needs and I am curious whether folks think this makes sense or whether there are other, better methods out there.

1. Our editions of the manuscripts are identified in the publicationStmt section of the header by local ids (idno[@type='local']); we could add an @n to that element for the version.
2. We could put use edition (or @n on edition) in the titleStmt

Any suggestions appreciated!
HL
--

Hayim Lapin
Robert H. Smith Professor of Jewish Studies and

Director
Joseph and Rebecca Meyehoff
Program and Center for Jewish Studies
University of Maryland
4141 Susquehanna Hall
College Park, MD 20742
301 405 4975 | [hidden email]
www.jewishstudies.umd.edu

Re: Versioning of editions

Syd Bauman-10
I think I'd vote for <edition> in the <titleStmt>. After all, that's
what it is for.

  <edition n="2.1">Second edition: version 2.1</edition>

But I do think of this as for use with major changes that constitute
an updated "edition", not just correcting a typo.

Re: Versioning of editions

McAulay, Elizabeth
Yes, I agree with both points. I participated in a second edition a number of years ago and it was fun! TEI here: http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/jacobs/jacobs.xml

Elizabeth "Lisa" McAulay