Warsaw, October 6-7: conference with online streaming on Historical Source editions

Warsaw, October 6-7: conference with online streaming on Historical Source editions

Robinson, Peter
(Apologies: this went earlier with the wrong subject line)

On behalf of the organizing committee (Marek Slon, Greg Crane and myself), I recommend to everyone’s attention a two day workshop/conference convened by the Tadeusz Manteuffel Institute of History, Polish Academy of Sciences (IHPAN) in Warsaw this October.

Below is the conference call (closing on February 28). Conference participation may be by actual attendance in Warsaw, or online by streaming.  See also at www.atlasfontium.pl/edition2.0, Facebook profile https://www.facebook.com/historicalsourceedition2.0/, and Twitter (@edition2_0).

Best wishes

Peter Robinson

Call for Papers
International Conference

Historical source edition 2.0

Event: October 6–7, 2017
Abstract Due: February 28, 2017
Institution: Tadeusz Manteuffel Institute of History, Polish Academy of Sciences
Location: Warsaw, Poland; on-line worldwide
Organizational Committee: Gregory Crane, Peter Robinson, Marek Slon

Aims, scope, and eligibility

In the 19th and 20th centuries professional editing of historical sources was determined by printing technology, which dictated text as the only possible form of communication. The digital revolution has ended the monopoly of Gutenberg’s invention and has made it necessary to establish new principles in this field of knowledge. Methodology and techniques developed so far need to be adapted to contemporary trends. Although a significant number of valuable scientific editing projects have been implemented with the use of new technologies, there has been little general reflection on the impact of the new technologies. The main aim for our conference is to help to fulfil this gap in research.

We would like to invite – first of all – practitioners to participate in the conference:  project groups and scholars, who have great experience in editing historical records with tools beyond text and simple picture copying. Databases, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), linguistic analysis are definitely not a complete list of tools, methods, and useful techniques, therefore expansion into other topics would be a valuable outcome of the conference. We would encourage all contributors to formulate answers to the following questions:
‘What is the essence of historical source editing nowadays?’ ‘What are its constitutive features and basic functions?’.

Within this context, it would be necessary to address traditional definitions and practices. It is important to gain a broad perspective on this phenomenon, its past advances, current research, and a vision of the future. Presenting consequences of general assumptions used in contributors’ projects is considered as extremely valuable.

Conference venue, terms and conditions

The conference venue is in Warsaw, Poland and – especially – in the virtual world. The conference language is English. We would like to invite 10 speakers and approximately twice as many people considered as registered debaters. Some speakers and debaters may choose to be physically present in the Institute of History, Warsaw, or may present their papers and take part in debates online.

Abstracts

The deadline for submitting an abstract is February 28, 2017. Please send us a work-in- progress proposal (a title and an abstract 300–600 characters long). The Organizational Committee has 3 weeks to revise submitted abstracts and arrange the final programme of the conference.

Full papers

There is no need to send an advanced draft or a full paper before the conference, however we strongly recommend this option. Accepted papers can be shared with all registered participants and afterwards discussed during the conference. Full papers need to be submitted not later than December 15, 2017. Please remember that both versions of paper (a draft and a full paper) need to be readable within half hour, which means they need to be approximately 25.000 characters (or 4.000 words) long (including footnotes).
Conference

The conference will start on Friday, October 6, 2017, with the workshop. Professors Gregory Crane, Julio Escalona, Peter Robinson, and Marek Slon are going to present technical issues, and software used for their research. For more details, check out conference website.

On Saturday, October 7, 2017, full lectures and broad discussion are planned. There will also be enough time for a summary debate at the end of the conference.

The conference access is provided on-line via before chosen Voice over Internet Protocol software and Peer to Peer live video streaming system (all participants will be provided with technical details in May 2017 at latest).

Only registered participants are able to join the discussion actively. Online live streaming will be available for a broad audience. Moderated chat will be open to all viewers whose questions can be presented to the participants.

Publication

Conference papers will be published as an open access e-book with print on demand  option. A peer-reviewed book is going to be published by the Institute of History, Polish Academy of Sciences as a subsequent volume of the Institute publication series “Prace Atlasu Historycznego IH PAN”. Book will be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, also known as CC BY-SA 3.0 (or later), and it will be available to download. Deadline for full papers is November 30, 2017. The book will be published in June 2018.

Visit in Warsaw

It is possible to join us at the conference venue in Warsaw, Poland. However, organizers are not able to cover travel, accommodation, or food expenses. Participants wishing to  take advantage of (low standard, simple furnished) guest rooms in the Institute of History should contact the conference secretary. The Institute is situated at the Market Square, where visitors can feel welcoming atmosphere of Warsaw Old Town. We would also like to invite our guests for dinner on Friday, October 6, 2017.
Two bursaries of 250 euros are available to registered students, to assist with travel to the conference.

Fees

There is no conference fee. Contributors are asked to invest something much more valuable before the conference – their time and attention.

Contact

Please do not hesitate to ask the conference secretary for details about this event. The person responsible for contact with participants is Ms. Wieslawa Duzy, PhD. Conference e- mail address is [hidden email].

Website and social media

For more information about the conference and our editing projects, check out our website at www.atlasfontium.pl/edition2.0, our Facebook profile https://www.facebook.com/historicalsourceedition2.0/, and follow us on Twitter (@edition2_0).