a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins
Colleagues,

Our long-delayed switchover for the TEI website from one CMS to another
is underway.  There are a few glitches that are going to take a few days
to work out, so apologies if you are unable to reach any particular
pages that you were looking for.  In a pinch, please refer to
http://www-old.tei-c.org/ .

Kevin

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Dominik Wujastyk
What was the old CMS, and what is the new one?

Sent from: http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins
OpenCMS --> WordPress: see
https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;6ac65728.1606

On 6/24/18 5:25 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
> What was the old CMS, and what is the new one?

> Sent from: http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Martin Holmes
Congratulations Kevin on managing this really complicated transition.
It's great to get away from that old CMS (which required Java in the
browser -- remember that? to upload new files). Hopefully the new
WordPress instance will be much easier to manage and keep up to date.

On 2018-06-25 07:12 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> OpenCMS --> WordPress: see
> https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;6ac65728.1606
>
> On 6/24/18 5:25 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
>> What was the old CMS, and what is the new one?

>> Sent from: http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins
Thank you for the kind words.  It's been quite a few challenging years
preparing for this!

On 6/25/18 10:37 AM, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Congratulations Kevin on managing this really complicated transition.
> It's great to get away from that old CMS (which required Java in the
> browser -- remember that? to upload new files). Hopefully the new
> WordPress instance will be much easier to manage and keep up to date.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 2018-06-25 07:12 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> OpenCMS --> WordPress: see
>> https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;6ac65728.1606
>>
>> On 6/24/18 5:25 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
>>> What was the old CMS, and what is the new one?

>>> Sent from: http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Dalmau, Michelle Denise
Hello from Mexico City, home to the DH conference this year.

I’d like to also publicly thank Kevin for managing this migration on a complete volunteer basis (Kevin is currently not Board-appointed).

—Michelle

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 11:19 AM, Kevin Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the kind words.  It's been quite a few challenging years preparing for this!
>
>> On 6/25/18 10:37 AM, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> Congratulations Kevin on managing this really complicated transition. It's great to get away from that old CMS (which required Java in the browser -- remember that? to upload new files). Hopefully the new WordPress instance will be much easier to manage and keep up to date.
>> Cheers,
>> Martin
>>> On 2018-06-25 07:12 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>> OpenCMS --> WordPress: see https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;6ac65728.1606

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Joey Takeda
Hi Kevin,

I noticed that the TEI URLs have changed slightly and are being redirected:

http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml ==> http://www.tei-c.org/
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ==> http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5/

Are these lowercase URLs the new stable URLs for the guidelines?

Thanks,
Joey

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins
Yes, WordPress uses lowercase letters in paths, so the new URLs are all
in lowercase.  And URLs now all end in slashes, where some used to end
in ".xml".

There are permanent (301) redirects in place that we hope to maintain
for some time since the old URLs have been in circulation for many years.

Kevin

On 6/27/18 4:32 PM, Joey Takeda wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I noticed that the TEI URLs have changed slightly and are being redirected:
>
> http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml ==> http://www.tei-c.org/
> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ==> http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5/
>
> Are these lowercase URLs the new stable URLs for the guidelines?
>
> Thanks,
> Joey

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Martin Holmes
Actual URLs for the Guidelines HTML haven't changed:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/>

nor have URLs for the older Vault versions of the Guidelines:

<http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P5/>

So pointers in reference lists and bibliographies shouldn't have to be
updated.

On 2018-06-28 09:49 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> Yes, WordPress uses lowercase letters in paths, so the new URLs are all
> in lowercase.  And URLs now all end in slashes, where some used to end
> in ".xml".
>
> There are permanent (301) redirects in place that we hope to maintain
> for some time since the old URLs have been in circulation for many years.
>
> Kevin
>
> On 6/27/18 4:32 PM, Joey Takeda wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> I noticed that the TEI URLs have changed slightly and are being
>> redirected:
>>
>> http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml ==> http://www.tei-c.org/
>> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ==>
>> http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5/
>>
>> Are these lowercase URLs the new stable URLs for the guidelines?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joey

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins
Yes, thank you for that clarification.  These components, like a few
other things on www.tei-c.org, exist outside of both the old and new
CMSes and are therefore unaffected.  --Kevin

On 6/28/18 12:05 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Actual URLs for the Guidelines HTML haven't changed:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/>
>
> nor have URLs for the older Vault versions of the Guidelines:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P5/>
>
> So pointers in reference lists and bibliographies shouldn't have to be
> updated.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 2018-06-28 09:49 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> Yes, WordPress uses lowercase letters in paths, so the new URLs are
>> all in lowercase.  And URLs now all end in slashes, where some used to
>> end in ".xml".
>>
>> There are permanent (301) redirects in place that we hope to maintain
>> for some time since the old URLs have been in circulation for many years.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 6/27/18 4:32 PM, Joey Takeda wrote:
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>>
>>> I noticed that the TEI URLs have changed slightly and are being
>>> redirected:
>>>
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml ==> http://www.tei-c.org/
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ==>
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5/
>>>
>>> Are these lowercase URLs the new stable URLs for the guidelines?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joey

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Martin de la Iglesia-3
This, however, seems to have the unfortunate effect that the Guidelines can no longer be searched via the full-text search bar on http://www.tei-c.org.

—
Martin de la Iglesia
Kommentierte digitale Edition der Reise- und Sammlungsbeschreibungen Philipp Hainhofers (1578-1647)
Herzog August Bibliothek, Lessingplatz 1, 38304 Wolfenbüttel     Tel. +49 5331 808-125

Yes, thank you for that clarification.  These components, like a few
other things on www.tei-c.org, exist outside of both the old and new
CMSes and are therefore unaffected.  --Kevin

On 6/28/18 12:05 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Actual URLs for the Guidelines HTML haven't changed:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/>
>
> nor have URLs for the older Vault versions of the Guidelines:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P5/>
>
> So pointers in reference lists and bibliographies shouldn't have to be
> updated.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 2018-06-28 09:49 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> Yes, WordPress uses lowercase letters in paths, so the new URLs are
>> all in lowercase.  And URLs now all end in slashes, where some used to
>> end in ".xml".
>>
>> There are permanent (301) redirects in place that we hope to maintain
>> for some time since the old URLs have been in circulation for many years.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 6/27/18 4:32 PM, Joey Takeda wrote:
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>>
>>> I noticed that the TEI URLs have changed slightly and are being
>>> redirected:
>>>
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml ==> http://www.tei-c.org/
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ==>
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5/
>>>
>>> Are these lowercase URLs the new stable URLs for the guidelines?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joey

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins

Yes, thanks for pointing that out.  I'm going to see if we can do anything about this.

You will also notice that the membership campaign banner has pushed down the regular banner image, which is now partially obscuring the search bar.  I'll also investigate this.

Kevin

On 7/9/18 7:08 AM, Martin de la Iglesia wrote:
This, however, seems to have the unfortunate effect that the Guidelines can no longer be searched via the full-text search bar on http://www.tei-c.org.

—
Martin de la Iglesia
Kommentierte digitale Edition der Reise- und Sammlungsbeschreibungen Philipp Hainhofers (1578-1647)
Herzog August Bibliothek, Lessingplatz 1, 38304 Wolfenbüttel     Tel. +49 5331 808-125

Yes, thank you for that clarification.  These components, like a few
other things on www.tei-c.org, exist outside of both the old and new
CMSes and are therefore unaffected.  --Kevin

On 6/28/18 12:05 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Actual URLs for the Guidelines HTML haven't changed:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/>
>
> nor have URLs for the older Vault versions of the Guidelines:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P5/>
>
> So pointers in reference lists and bibliographies shouldn't have to be
> updated.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 2018-06-28 09:49 AM, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> Yes, WordPress uses lowercase letters in paths, so the new URLs are
>> all in lowercase.  And URLs now all end in slashes, where some used to
>> end in ".xml".
>>
>> There are permanent (301) redirects in place that we hope to maintain
>> for some time since the old URLs have been in circulation for many years.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 6/27/18 4:32 PM, Joey Takeda wrote:
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>>
>>> I noticed that the TEI URLs have changed slightly and are being
>>> redirected:
>>>
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml ==> http://www.tei-c.org/
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ==>
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5/
>>>
>>> Are these lowercase URLs the new stable URLs for the guidelines?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joey

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Kevin Hawkins
You might have noticed that the TEI website has reverted to its state
from March 2018, with the old CMS and no banner image.  There was a disk
failure that has affected all sites using the ADHO hosting service, so
it seems that the hosting servie is showing an old backup of the site.
The sysadmin folks are working with the hosting service to resolve the
problem.  Please pardon the inconvenience.

Kevin

Re: a few broken things on www.tei-c.org

Pedro Carrillo
Hi everyone:

Global search seems to be functional at the moment.

Best regards,

Pedro Carrillo