Quantcast

automated upgrade to TEI framework in oXygen

automated upgrade to TEI framework in oXygen

Sebastian Rahtz-3
if you use oXygen, the TEI Technical Council invites you to try using a TEI framework "add-on".  This facility
is available for oXygen 14 or later. It lets you subscribe to the TEI framework and
be updated automatically when a change is released. No more manual updates involving
unzipping archives, or waiting for a new oXygen release!

If you want to try this, open oXygen and

 a) Go to Preferences Document Type Associations and untick all the existing TEI things
(you only have to do this once; and the oXygen folks are looking for a way to avoid the step)

 b) Go to "Preferences/Add-ons" and add http://www.tei-c.org/release/oxygen/updateSite.oxygen to the
list of addon URLs. Tick the box to say you want automatic updates.

 c) go to "Help/Manage add-ons" and install the "tei" one.  obviously, you need to be connected to
the internet, and be warned that it make take a while to download. you will be asked to accept
the license (see below about signature)

 d) restart oXygen

 e) all being well, you'll get TEI 2.3.0 and XSL stylesheets 6.27 locally

 f) when we make a new P5, or update the stylesheets, oXygen will go and get them
for you (after checking you want it to)

Some notes
   1. you can undo this process, by uninstalling the add-on, if you don't like the effect
   2. you will be warned that the framework is unsigned. we are working on that, so will
        just ask you to trust it for the moment :-}
   3. oXygen 14.2 is coming out shortly, and that will have an updated TEI anyway
   4. This will be part of the TEI release procedure from now on
   5. If there are other software vendors who have similar services we can plug in, let us know!

Feedback welcome, of course.  Preferably on this list for all to share.
--
Sebastian Rahtz
http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
University of Oxford IT Services

Re: automated upgrade to TEI framework in oXygen

Toma Tasovac-2
This is great, Sebastian! Thanks a lot.

One small remark though. In Help > Manage Add ons… > Manage, the installed version of TEI P5 is listed as 1.0.0 -- which makes sense because it's the first version of the add-on. I wonder though if it would not be more informative to version the add-on with the same number as the framework itself -- in this case 2.3.0? That way it would always be transparent which TEI release one is using in Oxygen.

All best,
Toma
—————————————————————
Toma Tasovac
Center for Digital Humanities (Belgrade, Serbia)
http://humanistika.org • http://transpoetika.org

On 1 Feb 2013, at 08:01, Toma Tasovac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One small remark though. In Help > Manage Add ons… > Manage, the installed version of TEI P5 is listed as 1.0.0 -- which makes sense because it's the first version of the add-on. I wonder though if it would not be more informative to version the add-on with the same number as the framework itself -- in this case 2.3.0? That way it would always be transparent which TEI release one is using in Oxygen.

true. unfortunately the TEI framework is a combination of the P5 version, and the version of the XSL stylesheets. If/when I release XSL 6.28 next week,
I can't bump up the 2.3.0. The version number in the update manifest is of the form n.n.n only, does not permit e.g. 2.3.0-6.27 (reasonably, as it needs to
compare numerically)

so i reluctantly went with version 1.0.0 of the framework bundle
--
Sebastian Rahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services

Re: automated upgrade to TEI framework in oXygen

Dominique Meeùs

Am I right to think that, for people using Debian, or a Debian derivative as Ubuntu, the same result was (and still is) achieved by the Debian package tei-oxygen?
If this is the case, staying in the Debian package management system (instead of any other kind of direct installation) seems preferable.

On 2 Feb 2013, at 05:59, Dominique Meeùs <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> if you use oXygen, the TEI Technical Council invites you to try using a TEI framework "add-on".  […]
>
> Am I right to think that, for people using Debian, or a Debian derivative as Ubuntu, the same result was (and still is) achieved by the Debian package tei-oxygen?
> If this is the case, staying in the Debian package management system (instead of any other kind of direct installation) seems preferable.

I agree. If you are a Debian user, stay with that.

my only worry is that the Debian packages are currently maintained by just me; updating
the oxygen package is something anyone can do, on any platform, but Debian
builds need a more specialized environment which others may not want to maintain
in future.