biblStruct puzzles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

biblStruct puzzles

Nathan Gibson
Dear TEI List,

I have a number of questions relating to best practices for using the biblStruct element. I would be grateful for your help with any or all of these. To give some background, I am working on converting a text bibliography into a structured TEI bibliography, with URIs for each entry. It’s not important to me to keep the same formatting as the original text bibliography, only to capture the data from it. I also need to cite these bibliography entries from other documents using a bibl element containing a ptr and citedRange. 

1. What is the best way to enter biblStruct(s) for a journal article that spans multiple issues or even volumes? My most difficult case is an article that appears in 5 different parts across 2 journal volumes, with the same title and no explicit labeling of the parts. Should I create a separate biblStruct (with separate URIs) for each part? Or should I just include multiple monogr elements and biblScopes within a single biblStruct? Either one of these is pragmatically awkward, since we need to generate from our TEI citedRange elements human-readable citations that may refer to multiple page ranges within that article. If we have a biblStruct for each part, then our TEI > HTML transform will generate up to 5 citation notes when this article is cited (unless we script a workaround). If we have only 1 biblStruct, how can the citedRange elements containing page numbers indicate the correct vol number? Here’s an example of what I’m trying to do. Note that the citedRanges below will ultimately appear in other bibls pointing to this biblStruct. In case it helps, the scans of this article are available at https://archive.org/details/revuedelorientch181913pari and https://archive.org/details/revuedelorientch191914pari (see below for page numbers).

<biblStruct corresp="bibl1073-4 bibl1493-2 bibl1135-2 bibl1316-2">
<analytic>
                  <author>
                     <forename>F.</forename>
                     <surname>Nau</surname>
                  </author>
                  <title level="a">Résumé de monographies syriaques: Barṣauma, Abraham de la Haute Montagne, Siméon de Kefar ʿAbdin, Yaret l’alexandrin, Jacques le reclus, Romanus, Talia, Asia, Pantaléon, Candida</title>
                  <idno type="URI">http://syriaca.org/bibl/1072</idno>
</analytic>
<monogr>
                  <title level="m">Revue de l’Orient chrétien</title>
                  <imprint>
                     <date>1913</date>
                  </imprint>
                  <biblScope unit="series" from="2" to="2">2</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="vol" from="8" to="8">8</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="270" to="276">270-276</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="379" to="389">379-389</biblScope>
</monogr>
<monogr>
                  <title level="m">Revue de l’Orient chrétien</title>
                  <imprint>
                     <date>1914</date>
                  </imprint>
                  <biblScope unit="series" from="2" to="2">2</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="vol" from="9" to="9">9</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="113" to="134">113-134</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="278" to="289">278-289</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="414" to="440">414-440</biblScope>
</monogr>
<citedRange from="272" to="276" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1073-4">8:272-276</citedRange>
<citedRange from="379" to="389" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1073-4">8:379-389</citedRange>
<citedRange from="113" to="134" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1073-4">9:113-134</citedRange>
<citedRange from="278" to="289" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1073-4">9:278-289</citedRange>
<citedRange from="420" to="431" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1493-2">9:420-431</citedRange>
<citedRange from="413" to="419" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1135-2">9:413-419</citedRange>
<citedRange from="432" to="440" unit="pp" corresp="bibl1316-2">9:432-440</citedRange>
</biblStruct>

2. If a single journal volume has two different volume numbers — one within a series and one apart from it — what is the best way to indicate this in the biblStruct, while making apparent that these are alternate numbering systems? For example, Revue de l’Orient chrétien, 2nd series, volume 8 = Revue de l’Orient chrétien, volume 18. 

3. Some of the items mentioned in the bibliography were published in non-Latin scripts. We want to provide the author and title in both the original script and in Latin transliteration. How can I include these alternate forms in a way that will be most machine-readable? Should I use choice/seg with different @xml:langs on the seg, as in the following?

<author>
<choice>
<seg xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">
                           <forename>E.</forename>
                           <surname>Aničkov</surname>
                        </seg>
</choice>
<choice>
                        <seg xml:lang="ru">
                           <forename>Е.</forename>
                           <surname>Аничков</surname>
                        </seg>
</choice>
</author>

4. Related to this, what is the best way to show that something is a Russian transliteration in Latin script, using the ISO 9:1995 Russian transliteration standard? Should I mark @xml:lang as "ru-Latn-iso9r95”?

5. Is it acceptable to encode reprint information like so inside a biblStruct?

<relatedItem>
<listRelation>
<relation name="alternate-printing-of" active="http://syriaca.org/bibl/942" passive="http://syriaca.org/bibl/940">
                        <desc>This is a reprint of <ref target="http://syriaca.org/bibl/940">The Bulletin of the John Rylands Library 10 (1926), 80-111</ref>.</desc>
                     </relation>
</listRelation>
</relatedItem>

Much thanks for any help you can provide,
Nathan

Nathan P. Gibson, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Scholar in Syriac Studies and Digital Humanities
Vanderbilt University & Syriaca.org

Gastwissenschaftler
Institut für den Nahen und Mittleren Osten
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: biblStruct puzzles

Kevin Hawkins-4
Nathan,

On 12/22/15 11:52 AM, Nathan Gibson wrote:
> It’s not important to me to keep the same formatting as the
> original text bibliography, only to capture the data from it.

Thanks for making this explicit.  Whether an encoder wants to be able to
reconstruct the formatting in the source document is a major decision
that influences choice of encoding in all sorts of ways, including with
bibliographies, so this is good to know when responding to your questions.

I'll respond to a few of your questions.  For the others, I can't offer
any expertise.

> 2. If a single journal volume has two different volume numbers — one
> within a series and one apart from it — what is the best way to indicate
> this in the biblStruct, while making apparent that these are alternate
> numbering systems? For example, Revue de l’Orient chrétien, 2nd series,
> volume 8 = Revue de l’Orient chrétien, volume 18.

See the "Herakles to Poseidon" example within
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COBI for
guidance on a very similar case.

> 3. Some of the items mentioned in the bibliography were published in
> non-Latin scripts. We want to provide the author and title in both the
> original script and in Latin transliteration. How can I include these
> alternate forms in a way that will be most machine-readable? Should I
> use choice/seg with different @xml:langs on the seg, as in the following?
>
> <author>
> <choice>
> <seg xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">
>                             <forename>E.</forename>
>                             <surname>Aničkov</surname>
>                          </seg>
> </choice>
> <choice>
>                          <seg xml:lang="ru">
>                             <forename>Е.</forename>
>                             <surname>Аничков</surname>
>                          </seg>
> </choice>
> </author>

<choice> is generally used to indicate that the encoder sees two
possible ways of representing a source rather than, as in your case, you
want to provide two variants of known data.  So, rather than using
<choice>, I would simply do this:

<author>
   <forename xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">E.</forename>
   <surname xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">Aničkov</surname>
   <forename xml:lang="ru">Е.</forename>
   <surname xml:lang="ru">Аничков</surname>
</author>

--Kevin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: biblStruct puzzles

Nathan Gibson
Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for your helpful guidance on these issues. I’ll respond to your comments inline.


2. If a single journal volume has two different volume numbers — one
within a series and one apart from it — what is the best way to indicate
this in the biblStruct, while making apparent that these are alternate
numbering systems? For example, Revue de l’Orient chrétien, 2nd series,
volume 8 = Revue de l’Orient chrétien, volume 18.

See the "Herakles to Poseidon" example within http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COBI for guidance on a very similar case.

So the difficulty in this case is that the journal has the same title for the two volume numbering systems. But your example gave me the idea that I could do this by providing the “title” of the series plus a biblScope. What do you think?

<monogr>
                  <title level="m">Revue de l’Orient chrétien</title>
                  <imprint>
                     <date>1913</date>
                  </imprint>
                  <biblScope unit="vol" from="18" to="18">18</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="270" to="276">270-276</biblScope>
                  <biblScope unit="pp" from="379" to="389">379-389</biblScope>
</monogr>
<series>
                  <title level="s" xml:lang="fr">Deuxième Série</title>
                  <biblScope unit="vol" from="8" to="8">8</biblScope>
</series>


3. Some of the items mentioned in the bibliography were published in
non-Latin scripts. We want to provide the author and title in both the
original script and in Latin transliteration. How can I include these
alternate forms in a way that will be most machine-readable? Should I
use choice/seg with different @xml:langs on the seg, as in the following?

<author>
<choice>
<seg xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">
                           <forename>E.</forename>
                           <surname>Aničkov</surname>
                        </seg>
</choice>
<choice>
                        <seg xml:lang="ru">
                           <forename>Е.</forename>
                           <surname>Аничков</surname>
                        </seg>
</choice>
</author>

<choice> is generally used to indicate that the encoder sees two possible ways of representing a source rather than, as in your case, you want to provide two variants of known data.  So, rather than using <choice>, I would simply do this:

<author>
 <forename xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">E.</forename>
 <surname xml:lang="ru-Latn-iso9r95">Aničkov</surname>
 <forename xml:lang="ru">Е.</forename>
 <surname xml:lang="ru">Аничков</surname>
</author>

This is a straightforward solution, and I’ll go with it. 

Thanks,
Nathan


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: biblStruct puzzles

Kevin Hawkins-4
In reply to this post by Nathan Gibson
Hi.

First of all, I'm not sure why the LISTSERV software mangled my sender
address.  Perhaps it will come through correctly this time.

I subscribe to the list in digest format, and I sometimes have trouble
replying to messages in HTML format.  I saw your response with the
helpful color coding, but in my reply below that is lost.

So, without further ado ...

On 12/23/15 2:44 AM, Nathan Gibson wrote:

> Dear Kevin,
>
> Thank you very much for your helpful guidance on these issues. I’ll
> respond to your comments inline.
>
>>
>>> 2. If a single journal volume has two different volume numbers — one
>>> within a series and one apart from it — what is the best way to indicate
>>> this in the biblStruct, while making apparent that these are alternate
>>> numbering systems? For example, Revue de l’Orient chrétien, 2nd series,
>>> volume 8 = Revue de l’Orient chrétien, volume 18.
>>
>> See the "Herakles to Poseidon" example within
>> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COBI for
>> guidance on a very similar case.
>
> So the difficulty in this case is that the journal has the same title
> for the two volume numbering systems. But your example gave me the idea
> that I could do this by providing the “title” of the series plus a
> biblScope. What do you think?
>
> <monogr>
> <titlelevel="m">Revue de l’Orient chrétien</title>
> <imprint>
> <date>1913</date>
> </imprint>
> <biblScopeunit="vol"from="18"to="18">18</biblScope>
> <biblScopeunit="pp"from="270"to="276">270-276</biblScope>
> <biblScopeunit="pp"from="379"to="389">379-389</biblScope>
> </monogr>
> <series>
> <titlelevel="s"xml:lang="fr">Deuxième Série</title>
> <biblScopeunit="vol"from="8"to="8">8</biblScope>
> </series>

If the title is really the same for both, then I think you want the
following:

<monogr>
                   <title level="m">Revue de l’Orient chrétien</title>
                   <imprint>
                      <date>1913</date>
                   </imprint>
                   <biblScope unit="vol" from="18" to="18">18</biblScope>
                   <biblScope unit="pp" from="270"
to="276">270-276</biblScope>
                   <biblScope unit="pp" from="379"
to="389">379-389</biblScope>
</monogr>
<series>
                   <title level="s" xml:lang="fr">Revue de l’Orient
chrétien</title>
                   <biblScope unit="series" from="2" to="2">Deuxième
Série</edition>
                   <biblScope unit="vol" from="8" to="8">8</biblScope>
</series>

--Kevin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: biblStruct puzzles

Nathan Gibson
OK, I see. That makes sense. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TEI biblStruct-to-RIS output XSLT starter file

Charles Muller-5
Hello TEI-ers,

I'm always slightly encouraged when I see a <biblStruct> discussion on
the list, as I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one in the world
actually using the darned thing.

Well, my usage of <biblStruct> for maintaining project bibliographies
got a big boost a couple of years ago when output from Zotero was
implemented. Since then, I have been sitting around waiting for someone
to do something about biblStruct-to-Zotero conversion. Since I haven't
seen anything yet, I made this the final project in my XSLT course this
past semester, opting for the relatively easier path of
biblStruct-to-RIS. This is not yet at all comprehensive, but does cover
the basic monographs, book chapters, and journal articles, using my own
preferred attributes, such as unit="vol" and unit="pp", which can
obviously be readily modified.

I welcome any and all to download this file and expand and improve on
it. I will of course, keep modifying it myself as time goes by.

Please go to http://www.acmuller.net/xml-tei-tut/index.html and see the
bottom three links.

Happy holidays!

Chuck


--

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

Web Site: Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TEI biblStruct-to-RIS output XSLT starter file

Laurent Romary
Hi Chuck,
In the context of the European DARIAH infrastructure, I am gathering in GitHub resources around various standards among which archival and bibliographical. Would it make sense to include your stylesheets (with the amendment you suggest) there, so that the maintenance is part of a community development?
Best wishes,
Laurent

> Le 29 déc. 2015 à 05:40, Charles Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello TEI-ers,
>
> I'm always slightly encouraged when I see a <biblStruct> discussion on the list, as I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one in the world actually using the darned thing.
>
> Well, my usage of <biblStruct> for maintaining project bibliographies got a big boost a couple of years ago when output from Zotero was implemented. Since then, I have been sitting around waiting for someone to do something about biblStruct-to-Zotero conversion. Since I haven't seen anything yet, I made this the final project in my XSLT course this past semester, opting for the relatively easier path of biblStruct-to-RIS. This is not yet at all comprehensive, but does cover the basic monographs, book chapters, and journal articles, using my own preferred attributes, such as unit="vol" and unit="pp", which can obviously be readily modified.
>
> I welcome any and all to download this file and expand and improve on it. I will of course, keep modifying it myself as time goes by.
>
> Please go to http://www.acmuller.net/xml-tei-tut/index.html and see the bottom three links.
>
> Happy holidays!
>
> Chuck
>
>
> --
>
> ---------------------------
> A. Charles Muller
>
> Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
> Faculty of Letters
> University of Tokyo
> 7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
> Tokyo 113-8654, Japan
>
> Office Phone: 03-5841-3735
>
> Web Site: Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
> http://www.acmuller.net
>
> Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Laurent Romary
INRIA
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TEI biblStruct-to-RIS output XSLT starter file

Charles Muller-5
Dear Laurent,

> In the context of the European DARIAH infrastructure, I am gathering
> in GitHub resources around various standards among which archival and
> bibliographical. Would it make sense to include your stylesheets
> (with the amendment you suggest) there, so that the maintenance is
> part of a community development?

I have no objection to the file being place on GitHub and letting people
do as they like with it. However, I have personally not ever really
gotten involved in using GitHub, so I would probably be unlikely to keep
up with it there...

Regards,

Chuck

--

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

Web Site: Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism