capabilities

Eduard Drenth
Dear all,

For standardized dictionaries at the Fryske Akademy we want to be able to query a dictionary for it's capabilities. Such capabilities may include "translation", "pronunciation", "synonyms" and more. Authors can indicate in the teiHeader the available capabilities of a dictionary. Solutions can query a dictionary for these capabilities and base further processing accordingly.

Does the TEI have a place for capabilities? I couldn't find it in for example encodingDesc.

Regards, Eduard

--
Eduard Drenth, Software Architekt

Doelestrjitte 8
8911 DX  Ljouwert
+31 58 234 30 47
+31 62 094 34 28 (privé)

skype: eduarddrenth
frisian.eu

Op freed bin ik thús/wurkje ik minder

Re: capabilities

James Cummings-5
Hi Eduard,

I'm not sure it does in those terms, but sounds to me like the kind of thing that should go in the profileDesc.

Many thanks,
James
--
Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]
Senior Lecturer in Late-Medieval Literature and Digital Humanities

Re: capabilities

Bauman, Syd
My instinct (which might be wrong) would be to consider the capabilities of the encoded dictionary as part of the “nature or topic of the text”, and thus use <textClass> to classify it. I may post some examples shortly.

I'm not sure it does in those terms, but sounds to me like the kind of thing that should go in the profileDesc.

For standardized dictionaries at the Fryske Akademy we want to be able to query a dictionary for it's capabilities. Such capabilities may include "translation", "pronunciation", "synonyms" and more. Authors can indicate in the teiHeader the available capabilities of a dictionary. Solutions can query a dictionary for these capabilities and base further processing accordingly.

Does the TEI have a place for capabilities? I couldn't find it in for example encodingDesc.

Re: capabilities

Bauman, Syd
Could just use profileDesc/textClass/keywords/term with keywords understood by your project in each <term> and no documentation (other than your project documentation external to the file) for what they mean:
      <textClass>
        <keywords>
          <term>translation</term>
          <term>synonyms</term>
          <term>pronunciation</term>
        </keywords>
      </textClass>

I would like this system a lot better if it pointed to the documentation somehow:
      <textClass>
        <keywords scheme="https://www.example.edu/documentatoin/FryskeDictCapabilities.html">
          <term>translation</term>
          <term>synonyms</term>
        </keywords>
      </textClass>
where that web page explains in a human-readable way each of those keywords, possibly in multiple natural languages.

Of course, that documentation could (in a somewhat limited way) be internal to the TEI file:
      <classDecl>
        <taxonomy xml:id="capabilities">
          <category xml:id="cap-trans">
            <catDesc xml:lang="en">translation</catDesc>
            <catDesc xml:lang="de">übersetzung</catDesc>
          </category>
          <category xml:id="cap-prono">
            <catDesc xml:lang="en">pronunciation</catDesc>
            <catDesc xml:lang="de">aussprache</catDesc>
          </category>
          <category xml:id="cap-synon">
            <catDesc xml:lang="en">synonyms</catDesc>
            <catDesc xml:lang="de">synonyme</catDesc>
          </category>
        </taxonomy>
      </classDecl>
      <!-- ... -->
      <textClass>
         <catRef target="#cap-synon"/>
      </textClass>

If you are more comfortable constraining values of an attribute in your ODD, you migt use something like
      <textClass>
        <keywords>
          <term type="capabilities" key="translation pronunciation synonyms"/>
        </keywords>
      </textClass>
In which case the meanings of the various possible values of @key would be documented in your ODD file.

Just some places to start, I haven’t really thought this through carefully.

[...]

Thanks! These are pointers I am going to investigate further.

Eduard

(again because my pgp signature causes my mail to be blocked)

Re: capabilities

Eduard Drenth
Would it be very wrong to use profileDesc/textDesc/purpose to indicate capabilities of a dictionary?

Re: capabilities

Bauman, Syd
It (<purpose>) seems reasonable for this purpose to me.

Would it be very wrong to use profileDesc/textDesc/purpose to indicate capabilities of a dictionary?