Quantcast

complex <dimensions>

MLH

complex <dimensions>

MLH

Dear list,

Thanks,

Matthew

From: TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list <[hidden email]> on behalf of TEI-L automatic digest system <[hidden email]>
Sent: 09 March 2017 05:00
To: [hidden email]
Subject: TEI-L Digest - 6 Mar 2017 to 8 Mar 2017 (#2017-53)

There is 1 message totaling 136 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. A web app to publish the TEI XML abstracts of the TEI conference 2016

Date:    Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:01:03 +0000
From:    Hannesschläger, Vanessa
         <[hidden email]>
Subject: A web app to publish the TEI XML abstracts of the TEI conference 2016

Dear colleagues,

a little while ago, we announced the publication of the TEI 2016 conference abstracts as XML TEI files on Github (https://github.com/acdh-oeaw/TEI2016abstracts) and invited you to do any work you might be inspired to do with these documents. Indeed, someone was inspired: Our ACDH colleague Peter Andorfer ([hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>) built "A little application to publish the abstracts of the TEI conference 2016" with the assistance of Vanessa Hannesschläger ([hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>). The app also includes several analyses of the data such as charts showing the gender distribution among the conference contributors. We are very happy to be able to share this application with you, which you can access here: https://tei2016app.acdh.oeaw.ac.at/
tei2016app.acdh.oeaw.ac.at
A little application to publish the abstracts of the TEI conference 2016
github.com
TEI2016abstracts - Abstracts of the 2016 TEI Conference and Members’ meeting in TEI XML format

If you would like to edit or work with the data or have a wish for further functionalities, please visit the code repo on Github (https://github.com/acdh-oeaw/tei-abstracts-app) and leave us an issue. If you find the app useful and would like to use it for publishing the abstracts of your own next conference, please do not hesitate to do so: The code is open source!
github.com
tei-abstracts-app - Web App to publish the Abstracts of TEI-2016

If you have any comments or remarks, we will love to hear from you.
Best wishes,

The TEI 2016 conference team

------------------------------

End of TEI-L Digest - 6 Mar 2017 to 8 Mar 2017 (#2017-53)

Re: complex <dimensions>

Syd Bauman-10
I think you may end up wanting <note> and <locus> inside
<dimensions>, but certainly poke at the use of the @precision,
@scope, @atLeast, @atMost, @min, @max, and @confidence attributes of
<dimensions> first. My bet is that describing variability with @min,
@max, and perhaps @confidence is likely to be sufficient; but that
because this isn't really what @scope was designed for, it may be
difficult (or abusive) to use it to express what portion of the
manuscript a particular <dimensions> applies to.

> How would people go about encoding the dimensions of a manuscript
> or other object where the dimensions (either leaf or written space)
> vary between different sections of the manuscript? And/or, where a
> significant fact about those dimensions should be recorded (e.g.
> that the leaves have been sigificantly cropped by a binder). I
> should say that we are using <dimensions> not <measure> to record
> these dimensions. The obvious solution seems to be to allow <locus>
> and <note> inside <dimensions>, and I would like to create a ticket
> for this, but I'd like to see if people have any other suggestions
> before I do this!

Re: complex <dimensions>

James Cummings-4
Hi Matthew,

I would probably have recorded this in multiple <layout> elements
...something like:

  <objectDesc>
    <layoutDesc>
      <layout writtenLines="35">
        <locus from="5r" to="10v">fol. 5r to 10v</locus>
        <dimensions type="leaf">
          <height></height>
          <width></width>
          <depth></depth>
        </dimensions>
        <note>This layout is fairly boring</note>
      </layout>
      <layout writtenLines="5">
        <locus from="11r" to="123v">fol. 11r to 123v</locus>
        <dimensions type="leaf">
          <height></height>
          <width></width>
          <depth></depth>
        </dimensions>
        <note>Wow! The rest of this ms has a weird layout.</note>
        </layout>
    </layoutDesc>
  </objectDesc>

Though it does beg the question, why are multiple layouts
possible and not multiple supports? If there was the possibility
of multiple supports I would have done the same as above but with
support.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]
MLH

Re: complex <dimensions>

MLH

Hi James

Thank you - interesting approach. That would work, I think, where the dimensions of the written space change, since that is a question of layout. But it doesn't seem right to be to have the leaf dimensions inside layout: that seems more naturally part of <extent>...

--
Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]