current networks and eight-bit data

Glenn Adams-2
Thanks for the good response.  My main point is that if you these
interchange constraints are going to drive the design, then they
certainly need to be explicitly stated as such.  Secondly, the
utility and extensibility of the design given certain advances
that ARE taking place towards consistent 8-bit data, both
in transfer and processing, need to be considered in case you decide
next year that the 7-bit requirement really wasn't necessary.

I think these are all hard problems and your points about compatibility
with existing systems are well taken.  BTW, do you also require TEI
conforming data to maintain an 80-character line length limit with
appropriately embedded NL/CR combinations as is appropriate for the
network link in use?  Someone earlier pointed out that the SGML
OED had no embedded line feeds.  I would imagine this would be a
problem for most e-mail links in the Bitnet/Earnnet world.