Quantcast

datatype of @medium

Martin de la Iglesia-2
Dear list,

I've come across something in the Guidelines that I don't understand: in
the class att.handFeatures, why do @script and @medium have different
datatypes? Multiple tokens are allowed in @script (1–∞ occurrences of
data.name separated by whitespace), which makes perfect sense - but it
would make sense for @medium (which is data.enumerated) just as well.
The definition of @medium says, "describes the tint or type of ink, e.g.
brown, or other writing medium, e.g. pencil". But what if I would like
to describe both the ink and the writing instrument? Ideally I'd like to
encode this as e.g. @medium="brown_ink brush", or @medium="iron_gall_ink
quill", but that's not valid in the current datatype. Is there a reason
for the different datatypes of @script and @medium?

--
Martin de la Iglesia
Metadata and Data Conversion

Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Göttingen State and University Library
D-37073 Göttingen

Papendiek 14 (Historical Building, Room 1.602)
+49 551 39-14070 (Tel.)
+49 551 39-3468 (Fax)

[hidden email]
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/

Re: datatype of @medium

Syd Bauman-7
I don't understand it, either. My first reaction is that both @script
and @medium should be defined as 1–∞ occurrences of data.enumerated
separated by whitespace.

> I've come across something in the Guidelines that I don't
> understand: in the class att.handFeatures, why do @script and
> @medium have different datatypes? Multiple tokens are allowed in
> @script (1–∞ occurrences of data.name separated by whitespace),
> which makes perfect sense - but it would make sense for @medium
> (which is data.enumerated) just as well. The definition of @medium
> says, "describes the tint or type of ink, e.g. brown, or other
> writing medium, e.g. pencil". But what if I would like to describe
> both the ink and the writing instrument? Ideally I'd like to encode
> this as e.g. @medium="brown_ink brush", or @medium="iron_gall_ink
> quill", but that's not valid in the current datatype. Is there a
> reason for the different datatypes of @script and @medium?

Re: datatype of @medium

The inconsistency does seem a bit odd I agree. But you could argue it
either way -- maybe it's wrong to allow @script to have multiple tokens!

Both these attributes used to be "cdata" which allowed you to write any
old text in there and have it be regarded as a single value. Let's not
revisit the reasons that's not such a clever idea and why we started
introducing things like "data.enumerated" to say explicitly that an
attribute has a coded value -- or values if more than one is permitted.
The problem we want to avoid is the ambiguity as to whether "@att="two
values" is a single value with a space in the middle or two distinct
ones (in which case it probably means the same as @att="values two")

I suspect we left @script as multiple words delimited by white space
because all the example script names we could think of had multiple
words in them, whereas  (until you came along!) no-one had suggested
anything other than a single word to describe @medium.

I'm interested however that you seem to require this because you regard
@medium as inherently supplying two pieces of information -- the  ink
and the thing used to apply it . Is that generally applicable? Should we
perhaps provide two different attributes ?

On 06/11/13 10:15, Martin de la Iglesia wrote:

> I've come across something in the Guidelines that I don't understand:
> in the class att.handFeatures, why do @script and @medium have
> different datatypes? Multiple tokens are allowed in @script (1–∞
> occurrences of data.name separated by whitespace), which makes perfect
> sense - but it would make sense for @medium (which is data.enumerated)
> just as well. The definition of @medium says, "describes the tint or
> type of ink, e.g. brown, or other writing medium, e.g. pencil". But
> what if I would like to describe both the ink and the writing
> instrument? Ideally I'd like to encode this as e.g. @medium="brown_ink
> brush", or @medium="iron_gall_ink quill", but that's not valid in the
> current datatype. Is there a reason for the different datatypes of
> @script and @medium?

Re: datatype of @medium

Martin de la Iglesia-2
Am 06.11.2013 18:06, schrieb Lou Burnard:
> I'm interested however that you seem to require this because you
> regard @medium as inherently supplying two pieces of information --
> the  ink  and the thing used to apply it . Is that generally
> applicable? Should we perhaps provide two different attributes ?

I wouldn't mind if @medium was replaced by two more specific attributes,
but it would probably be easier to just change its datatype. I'd be
interested in how other projects deal with this issue, though.

[hidden email]
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/

Re: datatype of @medium

Martin de la Iglesia-2