date of first publication

Ioana Galleron
Dear all,

I am trying to normalize a corpus of French plays which have been encoded by various people, not always in a strictly TEI conformant way.

One of my problems is that sometimes I have three relevant dates to re-encode:
- the date of the source, paper text > no problem here, it goes under sourceDesc;
- the date of the first representation of the play > easily dealt with under profileDesc;
- the date of the first publication, which is not always the date of the source encoded. I thought about putting this under sourceDesc>setting, but this appears to me somehow as a tag abuse. How should I treat it? I would also like to avoid lengthy explanations such as "The first folio of Shakespeare, 1623, prepared by Charlton Hinman (The Norton Facsimile, 1968) ». Ideally I can use a <date> so as to be able to extract only figures directly into an excel spread sheet.

I am certain that the question reveals just my sheer ignorance, but somehow I don’t manage to find and answer to it in the Guidelines.

Thank you, best regards,
Ioana Galleron

Re: date of first publication

Lou Burnard-6
If the version you're encoding is not the first publication, there's no obvious place to record that information in the TEI Header. After all,  there are potentially plenty of other editions you're not encoding! You could perhaps use relatedItem within the sourceDesc/bibl ; or you could invent your own element dateOfFirstEdition and add it to the model.profileDescPart class (also, presumably, the att.datable class if it will contain a date); or you could (slightly) misuse creation which is already available in that class. If it was me, I think I'd choose the last of these options. Actually, I'd be tempted to use that for all of this metatextual data. Something like this:

<creation>
<listChange>
<change when="1602">First known draft</change>
<change when="1603">First performance</change>
<change when="1623">First publication as part of first folio</change>
<change when="1681">Hacked about by Nahum Tate</change>
</listChange>
</creation>