definition of hand attribute

lou

definition of hand attribute

lou
"The problem is that handNote is _also_ available inside teiHeader/profileDesc/handNotes/handNote as well"

It's not implausible to want to define hands without considering the manuscript in which they are identified as being a "witness" featuring in some collation of witnesses. If for example you only have one witness and are editing that. You might similarly want to refer to such hands from elements other than children of <app>, e.g. here's a passage in Secretary hand, and here's a passage in Gothic, no idea why. (Though I suppose you could use @rend for that)

Why we have both handNotes and handDesc is, um, history. Probably  Council should consider deprecating one or the other.

Re: definition of hand attribute

James Cummings-5

Hi Lou,

I didn't mean to imply that it shouldn't be allowed up there in <profileDesc> -- just that in general for @hand on <rdg> it means that having multiple pointers on hand generally it might cause a problem for disambiguation of which witness went with hand since one couldn't know if it was pointing to one of those <handNote>s. Describing hands where one doesn't care about multiple witnesses is certainly something I agree with. I also accept you might want to say here is a paragraph in Secretary hand, followed by one in Gothic. (Though might one not use <handShift/> to indicate that as well?)

Many thanks,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]
Senior Lecturer in Late-Medieval Literature and Digital Humanities

School of English, Newcastle University

‚ö† External sender. Take care when opening links or attachments. Do not provide your login details.