gap question

yaeln
Hi all,

I annotate a liturgic text in Hebrew where there is an intentional gap which is meant to be filled in the actual saying of the pray, something like
"We pray for the health of _____, the son of _____ and _____"

What would be the best tag to describe this form-like space - if "gap", then which attribute would you use?  (if we want to go beyond "underline" description).

Thanks
Yael

Re: gap question

Christian Thomas
Dear Yael, this problem was discussed in
https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;832300b1.1502
(thread).

Accordingly, I would still suggest sth. like:

You might want to use @function="placeholder" or the like additionally
to indicate the purpose of the space.

To indicate the 'appearance' of the space, I would not use a (random)
number of (multiple) underscores like "_____" to imitate a (single) line
in the document, but use @rend with a value like underline, as suggested
in my example XML snippet.

Best wishes
Christian

BTW: It's a gap, but not a tei:gap
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-gap.html, i.e.,
I would not use <gap/> for this, since this indicates a gap in the
transcription left by the transcriber, not found in the transcribed
document.

--
Christian Thomas
[hidden email]