how old is your oXygen

Syd Bauman-10
The TEI Council puts effort into keeping the TEI plugin to the oXygen
XML editor up to date with respect to TEI, but also to keep it usable
with older versions of oXygen. This is becoming a bit problematic, so
some of us are wondering, how many people out there are actually
using older versions of oXygen?

If you use verion 18 of oXygen or earlier, would you mind replying to
this e-mail (preferably to me, [hidden email], not to the
list :-) with the version number you use?

Thanks. If there is interest, I will post a summary here.

Re: how old is your oXygen

Syd Bauman-10
There was lots of interest in the summary, so here it is. Keep in
mind that this was *far* from a soundly conducted scientific survey,
with a very low response rate (25 responses of ~1240 subscribers to
this list).

Quite a few people responded with more than one version, e.g. home
and work. In general I took only the highest version supplied, unless
it sounded like some people in their shop would not have easy access
to the newer version(s). Also, if someone gave only a major version,
I sometimes recorded it as "x.0" and sometimes as "x.1", just by
whim.

And remember, I asked only for 18 and earlier, so there is probably a
lot higher percentage of people using 19+ than this shows.

Anyway:
  count version         count majorVersion
  ----- -------         ----- ------------
      8 17.1               12 17
      4 17.0                6 18
      4 18.1                2 16
      2 16.1                2 14
      2 18.0                1 20
      1 14.1                1 15
      1 14.2                1 19
      1 15.2
      1 19.0
      1 20.1

So 20 of the 25 responses were v. 17+. Of those 5 respondents with
version 16 or earlier, about half said something to the effect of
"but don't put in extra effort to support old versions on my behalf",
usually because they would be upgrading soon. And about half said the
opposite: "please continue to support a TEI plugin for this old
version".

> The TEI Council puts effort into keeping the TEI plugin to the
> oXygen XML editor up to date with respect to TEI, but also to keep
> it usable with older versions of oXygen. This is becoming a bit
> problematic, so some of us are wondering, how many people out there
> are actually using older versions of oXygen?
>
> If you use verion 18 of oXygen or earlier, would you mind replying
> to this e-mail (preferably to me, [hidden email], not to
> the list :-) with the version number you use?
>
> Thanks. If there is interest, I will post a summary here.

Re: how old is your oXygen

Martin Mueller
It is my sense that the TEI Council does a lot of good work, but time is its most precious commodity. There weren't many responses to Syd's request, and  of those only a small percentage want time to be spent on backward compatibility with earlier versions of oXygen. So my advice would be for the Council to assign a very low priority to this matter.

There is a high priority item that would be a good idea for the Council and the Board to put high on their agenda: preach beyond the choir and reach the audience of TEI "consumers" in English, History, and similar departments-- the folks whose appreciation of this technology is the sine qua non of its long-term flourishing.

´╗┐On 7/9/18, 4:46 PM, "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list on behalf of Syd Bauman" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    There was lots of interest in the summary, so here it is. Keep in
    mind that this was *far* from a soundly conducted scientific survey,
    with a very low response rate (25 responses of ~1240 subscribers to
    this list).

    Quite a few people responded with more than one version, e.g. home
    and work. In general I took only the highest version supplied, unless
    it sounded like some people in their shop would not have easy access
    to the newer version(s). Also, if someone gave only a major version,
    I sometimes recorded it as "x.0" and sometimes as "x.1", just by
    whim.

    And remember, I asked only for 18 and earlier, so there is probably a
    lot higher percentage of people using 19+ than this shows.

    Anyway:
      count version         count majorVersion
      ----- -------         ----- ------------
          8 17.1               12 17
          4 17.0                6 18
          4 18.1                2 16
          2 16.1                2 14
          2 18.0                1 20
          1 14.1                1 15
          1 14.2                1 19
          1 15.2
          1 19.0
          1 20.1

    So 20 of the 25 responses were v. 17+. Of those 5 respondents with
    version 16 or earlier, about half said something to the effect of
    "but don't put in extra effort to support old versions on my behalf",
    usually because they would be upgrading soon. And about half said the
    opposite: "please continue to support a TEI plugin for this old
    version".

    > The TEI Council puts effort into keeping the TEI plugin to the
    > oXygen XML editor up to date with respect to TEI, but also to keep
    > it usable with older versions of oXygen. This is becoming a bit
    > problematic, so some of us are wondering, how many people out there
    > are actually using older versions of oXygen?
    >
    > If you use verion 18 of oXygen or earlier, would you mind replying
    > to this e-mail (preferably to me, [hidden email], not to
    > the list :-) with the version number you use?
    >
    > Thanks. If there is interest, I will post a summary here.

Re: how old is your oXygen

Peter Flynn-8
I asked a colleague in respiratory medicine, but she's still working it
out :-)