line group within paragraph?

Ondine LeBlanc
Hi, all--

I'm not sure if this is a glitch at my end or with the schema as I am validating against it, but I am getting a validation error when I try to encode lines of verse within a paragraph. Over the years we have done this many times in our texts, usually when a letter includes a few lines of verse and the author clearly continues the paragraph (and sometimes even the sentence) around those verse lines. It wasn't a problem in terms of validation. But this morning I am getting an error saying that <lg> is not allowed here I have it.

In order to determine if the error was something other than the p/lg nesting, I tested it using a generic TEI template in oXygen:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TEI
  <teiHeader>
    <fileDesc>
      <titleStmt>
        <title>Title</title>
      </titleStmt>
      <publicationStmt>
      </publicationStmt>
      <sourceDesc>
      </sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
  </teiHeader>
  <text>
        here.</p>
  </text>
</TEI>

Even here, I get an error message as soon as I add the <lg> within the paragraph.
I am using a much outdated version of oXygen (14), but that shouldn’t make a difference, right?

BTW, the guidelines seem to indicate that this should be valid:
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-lg.html includes "p" as the elements "lg" can be contained by.

Thanks for any assistance or insight!

Best,
Ondine

--
The Irish Atlantic: A Story of Famine, Migration, & Opportunity is on display at the MHS Monday through Saturday from 10 AM to 4 PM through 22 September. More information is available at www.masshist.org.

Ondine LeBlanc, Worthington C. Ford Editor of Publications
Massachusetts Historical Society
1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
Phone: 617-646-0524, Fax: 617-859-0074
Email: [hidden email]

Re: line group within paragraph?

Sewell, David R. (drs2n)
A first step would be to see what version of the TEI Guidelines schemas your
version of oXygen is using. In oXygen, click Help - About - Frameworks and
scroll down until you see "TEI P5". Note the version number.

Then you can go to the TEI Previous Releases page:
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/#previous

and investigate what the reference for the <lg> element says for the version
you're using.

It does look like <p> did not permit an <lg> child if you go back far enough in
the release history.

David

--
David Sewell
Manager of Digital Initiatives
Email: [hidden email]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
Web: http://www.upress.virginia.edu/rotunda

Re: line group within paragraph?

Ondine LeBlanc
Thanks so much, David! This is exactly the problem. Apparently my (woefully stale) version of oXygen is looking at P5 2.1.0, at which time <lg> was not allowed in <p>.

Time for me to demand that upgrade!

O.

--
David Sewell
Manager of Digital Initiatives
The University of Virginia Press
Email: [hidden email]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
Web: http://www.upress.virginia.edu/rotunda
--
The Irish Atlantic: A Story of Famine, Migration, & Opportunity is on display at the MHS Monday through Saturday from 10 AM to 4 PM through 22 September. More information is available at www.masshist.org.

Ondine LeBlanc, Worthington C. Ford Editor of Publications
Massachusetts Historical Society
1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
Phone: 617-646-0524, Fax: 617-859-0074
Email: [hidden email]

Re: line group within paragraph?

Just to note that you do not necessarily need to update your oxygen in order to update your TEI framework! (Not that I want to do the oxygen folks out of money,  if your institution will buy a new version then go ahead!)

A quite dated post by me showing how you can update your TEI Framework is at https://faqingperplxd.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/auto-update-your-tei-framework-in-oxygen/

Hope that helps!

James

--
Dr James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford

Email: [hidden email]

Re: line group within paragraph?

Ondine LeBlanc

Thanks so much, James—this will be very handy if I can’t persuade admin to invest in the upgraded oXygen. But I’m definitely ready for the upgrade if they are willing to make it possible. (Running 14—feeling ancient . . . )

[...]

Email: [hidden email]

Re: line group within paragraph?

FWIW, the rationale for not allowing <lg> as a direct child of <p> in
earlier versions of P5 was that verse appearing *within* a paragraph
would normally only do so if it was quoted, and hence that the <lg>
should be wrapped in a <quote> or similar. But this argument did not
persuade a majority of council, and that's why the change was made.

  On 14/07/17 16:29, Ondine LeBlanc wrote:

> Thanks so much, David! This is exactly the problem. Apparently my (woefully stale) version of oXygen is looking at P5 2.1.0, at which time <lg> was not allowed in <p>.
>
> Time for me to demand that upgrade!
>
> O.

Ah, yes, I wondered about that. And it would apply in many of our cases, but sometimes we do have letter-writers freestyling original verse in the middle of a paragraph . . .