Quantcast

locus from line 10 of folio 1r to line 5 of folio 3v

locus from line 10 of folio 1r to line 5 of folio 3v

Pietro Liuzzo
Dear all,

what is the best way to define the location of a text which starts at a certain line of a folio and ends at a certain line of another like from line 10 of folio 1r to line 5 of folio 3v

<locus from="1r" n="10"/> <locus to="3v" n="5"/> for example?

thanks a lot!
Pietro

--
Pietro Maria Liuzzo
cel (DE): +49 (0) 176 61 000 606
Skype: pietro.liuzzo (Quingentole)

Re: locus from line 10 of folio 1r to line 5 of folio 3v

Torsten Schassan-2
Dear Pietro,

the attribute @n doesn't have the semantic you need: It is just a number
but not necessarily (and not predictable!) the one of a line.

A solution I can think of would be to define the line either

- as textual line as part of the "transcription" somewhere in <text> or
<sourceDoc> and refer to that it from your <locus>, or

- as zone in some graphical element (surface, graphic) and point to that
using @facs.

I don't think there's a defined way of including this information in
@from/@to of the locus element, although it should be possible to think
of the line as a fragment of the page, and thus refer to that fragment
using the XPointer way: uri#fragmentIdentifier, here e.g. 1r#l10. Still,
this way would require to identify the fragment somewhere by an @xml:id.

Best, Torsten

--
Torsten Schassan - Digitale Editionen, Abteilung Handschriften und
Sondersammlungen
+49-5331-808-130 (Fax -165)
Handschriftendatenbank* http://diglib.hab.de/?db=mss

Re: locus from line 10 of folio 1r to line 5 of folio 3v

Franz Fischer-2
If you don't want to point and link to the exact location on the page
(and if you want to avoid too much encoding) a simple solution (yet not
as powerful as Torsten's suggestion) could be as follows:
<locus from="1r" to="3v">fol. 1r, l. 10 to fol. 3v, l.5</locus>

If you prefer to store all information in the markup - not sure about
something like this:
<locus from="1r_10" to="3v_5"/>

Franz

--
Dr. Franz Fischer
Cologne Center for eHumanities

cceh.uni-koeln.de, dixit.uni-koeln.de
i-d-e.de, ride.i-d-e.de
digitalmedievalist.org, digitalmedievalist.org/journal
guillelmus.uni-koeln.de, confessio.ie