<lb/> in <surface>

Georg Vogeler-2
Dear list,

I'm trying to teach a good practice how to use embedded transcription
with zone/line and "ordinary" text with <lb/> milestones. My students
now decided to use the <lb/> milestone inside <surface> to mark the
start of a new paragraph. I'd suggest this to be not a good practice (I
would rather prefer <milestone>), but the specs
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-zone.html allow
at least the use of the element. Is there any theoretical consideration
behind this, I should be aware of? Is anybody using it in the way my
students suggest?

Best

Georg

Re: <lb/> in <surface>

Gerrit Brüning
Dear Georg,
Dear all,

To markup line breaks (or line beginnings), it would be more canonic to use <line> which is not empty, though.
As you suggest, beginnings of paragraphs would best be marked up independent of this spatially defined surface/zone structure using <milestone unit="p"/>.

Best

Gerrit

---
Dr. Gerrit Brüning
Freies Deutsches Hochstift | Historisch-kritische Edition von Goethes Faust | beta.faustedition.net
Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main | Institut für deutsche Literatur und ihre Didaktik | IG-Hochhaus 1.155

Re: <lb/> in <surface>

Lou Burnard-6

I am not speculating about why these elements are permitted anywhere, nor even as to whether or not their use should be regarded as "good practice", but the answer to the original question surely is that <lb/> is just "syntactic sugar" for <milestone unit="line"/> and so if one is acceptable, then the other should be too.