Paolo Monella
Dear all,

the Guidelines seem to allow both <p> and <ab> in elements of the
teiHeader such as <editorialDecl>, <quotation> etc.

In a couple of gitHub issues [1] [2] there seems to be a preference for
this context, although in [2] (find "lb42 commented on 11 Sep 2017") Lou
Burnard disagreed on this. In any case, for the state being, both <p>
and <ab> stay legal.

Within he ALIM project [3] we are discussing the option of recommending
our collaborators to only use <ab> because (I quote from Lou's comment
in [2]): "It has always seemed to me that blocks of text in the header
are not really paragraphs in the same way as paragraphs in the body of a
text are" and to facilitate software creation.

What do you think?
Best,
Paolo

[1]
https://github.com/kshawkin/Best-Practices-for-TEI-in-Libraries/issues/56

[2] https://github.com/kshawkin/Best-Practices-for-TEI-in-Libraries/issues/9

[3] http://en.alim.unisi.it/

Re: <p> or <ab> in the teiHeader

Syd Bauman-10
I have two thoughts. First is that this is a decision that has really
low impact, so don't fret it much. Second is that, in general, I
mostly agree with you and Lou: many things that can be marked either
paragraphs, so I prefer <ab>. That said, there are cases (e.g.,
inside the <projectDesc> at the WWP) where the chunk of text is
clearly a semantic paragraph, so <p> is more appropriate.

But also (he said, no adding a third thought such that the first
sentence of this post is no longer true), do not mistake the _Best
Practices for TEI in Libraries_ for the entire _TEI Guidelines_. The
former clearly values consistency and simplicity over expressive
power and nuance; the latter is agnostic about how much expressivity
you should strive for, but tries to provide enough nuance that no
matter what your preference, there is enough.