members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Piotr Banski
Hi all,

I think I recall from previous years at least one person mentioning that
the last-day session called "Members' Meeting" might alienate those of
the conference participants who registered as non-members or students,
and that it would obviously be a loss. Now, as rightly remarked by Elena
this year, "Business Meeting" is probably not a label that helps ;-)

Perhaps we could come up with a more suitable name for the session, from
Vienna onwards.

Does "Community meeting" sound like an option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks and best,

  Piotr

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Peter Stadler
I don’t know whether there are any formal restrictions for a "Consortium“ to have an annual „Members’ Meeting“, but I like the idea/sound of a "community meeting“ :)

Best
Peter

> Am 11.11.2015 um 10:42 schrieb Piotr Bański <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I think I recall from previous years at least one person mentioning that
> the last-day session called "Members' Meeting" might alienate those of
> the conference participants who registered as non-members or students,
> and that it would obviously be a loss. Now, as rightly remarked by Elena
> this year, "Business Meeting" is probably not a label that helps ;-)
>
> Perhaps we could come up with a more suitable name for the session, from
> Vienna onwards.
>
> Does "Community meeting" sound like an option? Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks and best,
>
>  Piotr

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Pierazzo, Elena
Indeed what a nice name! I’ll make sure that we keep that in mind for next year.
Elena

> Le 11 nov. 2015 à 11:09, Peter Stadler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I don’t know whether there are any formal restrictions for a "Consortium“ to have an annual „Members’ Meeting“, but I like the idea/sound of a "community meeting“ :)
>
> Best
> Peter
>
>> Am 11.11.2015 um 10:42 schrieb Piotr Bański <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think I recall from previous years at least one person mentioning that
>> the last-day session called "Members' Meeting" might alienate those of
>> the conference participants who registered as non-members or students,
>> and that it would obviously be a loss. Now, as rightly remarked by Elena
>> this year, "Business Meeting" is probably not a label that helps ;-)
>>
>> Perhaps we could come up with a more suitable name for the session, from
>> Vienna onwards.
>>
>> Does "Community meeting" sound like an option? Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks and best,
>>
>> Piotr

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

James Cummings-4
Hi all,

I've always tried to distinguish between the "TEI Conference" and
the business meeting and like the term "community meeting". Our
website and discussions often refer to the conference as the
'members meeting', which I'd like to discourage. While I believe
what we're required to have is an 'Annual General Meeting' (or
AGM) open at very least to the members, I believe it has always
been open to everyone regardless of whether they are members or
not.  Anything that we can do to encourage participation, both in
the TEI Conference and TEI Community Meeting (see, it is catching
on already!), is a good thing.

-James

Dr James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford TEI
Consultations: [hidden email]

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Fabio Ciotti-3
Hi all,

I agree with James, now that the annual meeting has become a real big Conference open also to non members, I would call the whole event just TEI Conference XXXX (sadly there is already an ACM International conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction called TEI...).
As for the meeting of the members, it is something that must be done to approve the annual budget, etc., and only members can vote, but I see no obstacle in considering it a public event, given that there is a mean to assure that only legal members can express a vote if required (in general things are calm and easy, but you never know). And I think that calling it "TEI Annual General Meeting" should not scare anybody.
My 2 cents.
fabio

[...]

Dipartimento di Studi letterari, Filosofici e Storia dell’arte
Università di Roma Tor Vergata
President "Associazione Informatica Umanistica Cultura Digitale" (AIUCD)

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Piotr Banski
Hi all,

Let me only point out that my original target was more modest: I only
meant the way to refer to the meeting held on the last day of TEI-MMs
(or whatever you decide to name the yearly events ;-) ). The one with
Council and Board reports, election results, and other fun stuff.
(Speaking of fun: there used to be a lottery once... stickers and
such... myself, I definitely wouldn't want to miss that.)

Best,

  P.

On 11/11/15 12:33, James Cummings wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've always tried to distinguish between the "TEI Conference" and the
> business meeting and like the term "community meeting". Our website and
> discussions often refer to the conference as the 'members meeting',
> which I'd like to discourage. While I believe what we're required to
> have is an 'Annual General Meeting' (or AGM) open at very least to the
> members, I believe it has always been open to everyone regardless of
> whether they are members or not.  Anything that we can do to encourage
> participation, both in the TEI Conference and TEI Community Meeting
> (see, it is catching on already!), is a good thing.
>
> -James
>

> On 11/11/15 11:20, Pierazzo, Elena wrote:
>> Indeed what a nice name! I’ll make sure that we keep that in mind for
>> next year.
>> Elena
>>

>>> Le 11 nov. 2015 à 11:09, Peter Stadler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> I don’t know whether there are any formal restrictions for a
>>> "Consortium“ to have an annual „Members’ Meeting“, but I like the
>>> idea/sound of a "community meeting“ :)
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Peter

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Kevin Hawkins-4
All,

The TEI-C bylaws require that we hold an event called an "Annual
Meeting" where the Board of Directors and Technical Council report to
the membership on their activities, and where the results of annual
elections are reported.  I do like the idea of unofficially calling it a
"community meeting", as Peter suggests.

We have a few different documents used to guide the organization of our
annual conference that were written at different points in the TEI's
history and need to be merged; until someone takes on that task, I've
made a note in one of them to include Peter's suggestion.

Kevin

On 11/11/15 6:29 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Let me only point out that my original target was more modest: I only
> meant the way to refer to the meeting held on the last day of TEI-MMs
> (or whatever you decide to name the yearly events ;-) ). The one with
> Council and Board reports, election results, and other fun stuff.
> (Speaking of fun: there used to be a lottery once... stickers and
> such... myself, I definitely wouldn't want to miss that.)
>
> Best,
>
>    P.
>
> On 11/11/15 12:33, James Cummings wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've always tried to distinguish between the "TEI Conference" and the
>> business meeting and like the term "community meeting". Our website and
>> discussions often refer to the conference as the 'members meeting',
>> which I'd like to discourage. While I believe what we're required to
>> have is an 'Annual General Meeting' (or AGM) open at very least to the
>> members, I believe it has always been open to everyone regardless of
>> whether they are members or not.  Anything that we can do to encourage
>> participation, both in the TEI Conference and TEI Community Meeting
>> (see, it is catching on already!), is a good thing.
>>
>> -James
>>

>> On 11/11/15 11:20, Pierazzo, Elena wrote:
>>> Indeed what a nice name! I’ll make sure that we keep that in mind for
>>> next year.
>>> Elena

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Burghart Marjorie
Dear all, I fully support the idea of scrapping "and Members's Meeting" from our annual conference title. It's too long, and does not describe accurately the event, which is now a full international conference. I'm a member of another society which holds its conference conjointly with its annual meeting, and we simply call it the "Symposium"; it's a given that the AGM is included.
Marjorie

The TEI-C bylaws require that we hold an event called an "Annual
Meeting" where the Board of Directors and Technical Council report to
the membership on their activities, and where the results of annual
elections are reported.  I do like the idea of unofficially calling it a
"community meeting", as Peter suggests.

We have a few different documents used to guide the organization of our
annual conference that were written at different points in the TEI's
history and need to be merged; until someone takes on that task, I've
made a note in one of them to include Peter's suggestion.

Kevin

On 11/11/15 6:29 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Let me only point out that my original target was more modest: I only
> meant the way to refer to the meeting held on the last day of TEI-MMs
> (or whatever you decide to name the yearly events ;-) ). The one with
> Council and Board reports, election results, and other fun stuff.
> (Speaking of fun: there used to be a lottery once... stickers and
> such... myself, I definitely wouldn't want to miss that.)
>
> Best,
>
>    P.
>
> On 11/11/15 12:33, James Cummings wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've always tried to distinguish between the "TEI Conference" and the
>> business meeting and like the term "community meeting". Our website and
>> discussions often refer to the conference as the 'members meeting',
>> which I'd like to discourage. While I believe what we're required to
>> have is an 'Annual General Meeting' (or AGM) open at very least to the
>> members, I believe it has always been open to everyone regardless of
>> whether they are members or not.  Anything that we can do to encourage
>> participation, both in the TEI Conference and TEI Community Meeting
>> (see, it is catching on already!), is a good thing.
>>
>> -James
>>

>> On 11/11/15 11:20, Pierazzo, Elena wrote:
>>> Indeed what a nice name! I’ll make sure that we keep that in mind for
>>> next year.
>>> Elena

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Michelle Dalmau-2
Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for making the note.

One of the action items that resulted from our Board meeting (1 November 2015) is to revisit, consolidate and update procedural documentation.  Elena Pierazzo and I will work on Board-related documentation with possible overlap with conference planning documentation, and Pip Wilcox, Marjorie Burghart, and Emmanuelle Morlock will review conference-related documentation as Program and Local Chairs for this most recent conference/Members’ Meeting.  Though we did note that conference organizers from pervious years should also provide input since local settings present their own particular needs and challenges.

—Michelle

On Nov 12, 2015, at 9:32 AM, Kevin Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kev,

Oh my, then someone's in trouble, because there was no "Annual Meeting"
in Lyon... ;-) There was a "Business Meeting". Previously, there were
"Members' Meetings" and I think/thought I recalled someone remarking at
one of the previous conferences that "Members" in the name of that
annual meeting may feel too exclusive. Maybe my memory stretched too
far, to the times when members could only be institutional. I just can't
tell now.

Anyway, at the beginning of the Business Meeting in Lyon the attendance
was low(ish) and I was wondering if it could have been caused by calling
it "Business". Gradually, more people arrived so the issue has gone into
the background, but lingered at the back of my mind enough to get
recalled a few days ago. Not a biggie, I hope. And no need to invoke the
Bylaws here either, let's agree: we're talking about an informal way to
reference the prescribed "Annual Meetings", in such a way as to signal
to anyone reading the conference programme that they will be welcome to
attend, i.e., that these meetings are not restricted to any anointed
ones. If the Organisers of the upcoming conference like and decide to
use the term "Community meeting", and perhaps set a new custom that way,
I will silently rejoice. But I won't be crying if they don't, and I
suggest that no one else should ;-)

Cheers,

  Peter (I guess)

On 12/11/15 15:32, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> All,
>
> The TEI-C bylaws require that we hold an event called an "Annual
> Meeting" where the Board of Directors and Technical Council report to
> the membership on their activities, and where the results of annual
> elections are reported.  I do like the idea of unofficially calling it a
> "community meeting", as Peter suggests.
>
> We have a few different documents used to guide the organization of our
> annual conference that were written at different points in the TEI's
> history and need to be merged; until someone takes on that task, I've
> made a note in one of them to include Peter's suggestion.
>
> Kevin
>
> On 11/11/15 6:29 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Let me only point out that my original target was more modest: I only
>> meant the way to refer to the meeting held on the last day of TEI-MMs
>> (or whatever you decide to name the yearly events ;-) ). The one with
>> Council and Board reports, election results, and other fun stuff.
>> (Speaking of fun: there used to be a lottery once... stickers and
>> such... myself, I definitely wouldn't want to miss that.)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>>    P.
>>
>> On 11/11/15 12:33, James Cummings wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've always tried to distinguish between the "TEI Conference" and the
>>> business meeting and like the term "community meeting". Our website and
>>> discussions often refer to the conference as the 'members meeting',
>>> which I'd like to discourage. While I believe what we're required to
>>> have is an 'Annual General Meeting' (or AGM) open at very least to the
>>> members, I believe it has always been open to everyone regardless of
>>> whether they are members or not.  Anything that we can do to encourage
>>> participation, both in the TEI Conference and TEI Community Meeting
>>> (see, it is catching on already!), is a good thing.
>>>
>>> -James

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Kevin Hawkins-4
Piotr, I agree that the term "business meeting" is offputting.  I think
at some point people started using this term for the Annual Meeting, and
the name stuck.  I was just following on Peter Stadler's comment about
whether there are formal restrictions on having an event, and I voiced
my support for his suggestion of "community meeting" as the term under
which we advertise the Annual Meeting in the future.

I don't think this is a problem created by the TEI allowing individual
memberships: even before then, the conference was open to staff at
non-member institutions, and we wanted them to attend the Annual Meeting
to learn more about the organization.

Kevin

On 11/12/15 8:55 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:

> Hi Kev,
>
> Oh my, then someone's in trouble, because there was no "Annual Meeting"
> in Lyon... ;-) There was a "Business Meeting". Previously, there were
> "Members' Meetings" and I think/thought I recalled someone remarking at
> one of the previous conferences that "Members" in the name of that
> annual meeting may feel too exclusive. Maybe my memory stretched too
> far, to the times when members could only be institutional. I just can't
> tell now.
>
> Anyway, at the beginning of the Business Meeting in Lyon the attendance
> was low(ish) and I was wondering if it could have been caused by calling
> it "Business". Gradually, more people arrived so the issue has gone into
> the background, but lingered at the back of my mind enough to get
> recalled a few days ago. Not a biggie, I hope. And no need to invoke the
> Bylaws here either, let's agree: we're talking about an informal way to
> reference the prescribed "Annual Meetings", in such a way as to signal
> to anyone reading the conference programme that they will be welcome to
> attend, i.e., that these meetings are not restricted to any anointed
> ones. If the Organisers of the upcoming conference like and decide to
> use the term "Community meeting", and perhaps set a new custom that way,
> I will silently rejoice. But I won't be crying if they don't, and I
> suggest that no one else should ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Peter (I guess)
>

> On 12/11/15 15:32, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> The TEI-C bylaws require that we hold an event called an "Annual
>> Meeting" where the Board of Directors and Technical Council report to
>> the membership on their activities, and where the results of annual
>> elections are reported.  I do like the idea of unofficially calling it a
>> "community meeting", as Peter suggests.
>>
>> We have a few different documents used to guide the organization of our
>> annual conference that were written at different points in the TEI's
>> history and need to be merged; until someone takes on that task, I've
>> made a note in one of them to include Peter's suggestion.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 11/11/15 6:29 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Let me only point out that my original target was more modest: I only
>>> meant the way to refer to the meeting held on the last day of TEI-MMs
>>> (or whatever you decide to name the yearly events ;-) ). The one with
>>> Council and Board reports, election results, and other fun stuff.
>>> (Speaking of fun: there used to be a lottery once... stickers and
>>> such... myself, I definitely wouldn't want to miss that.)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>>     P.

Re: members' meeting vs. business meeting vs. ...?

Piotr Banski
Hi Kevin,

On 12/11/15 16:39, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> I don't think this is a problem created by the TEI allowing individual
> memberships:

Is this really what you understood from my message? Since the last
Business/Annual meeting, I've been wondering how vast the gap between my
thinking and my wording is. Need to watch it more closely, sleep on
those messages before I send them, perhaps.

Best,

  Piotr