msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

MLH

msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

MLH

Dear list,

Suppose you were using the `msDesc` module to describe a manuscript held by institution A. The manuscript has been digitized, but by institution B. It's not possible or desirable to give URLs for each page image in the `<facsimile>` element, but you still want to link to digitized fascimile. (For example, the page for Bodleian Library MS. Laud Misc. 141 in the Lorsch digital library, http://bibliotheca-laureshamensis-digital.de/view/bodleian%5Fmslaudmisc141). What would be the best way to do this - the `<surrogates>` element? Any thoughts on good practice for semantic markup relating to digital fascimiles within that element?

Thanks,

Matthew

Re: msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

Lou Burnard-6
Do you want to link to the whole ms or to individual pages of it? If the former, I'd say that surrogates is the way to go. Your just saying there's a facsimile of this ms over there. If however you can link to individual pages, why not use @facs on each .PB in your transcript?

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

Re: msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

Torsten Schassan-2
Dear Matthew,

supposed that the TEI document represents *the manuscript* itself, the
<msDesc> will contain the description of the manuscript, but doesn't
have to be the place to store the information about a digital facsimile,
but the TEI file as a whole has to.

Thus we, at the Herzog August Bibliothek, store this information in
<publicationStmt> and have there different <ptr>s inside <pubPlace> and
an additional <idno> which contains some identification e.g., an URN to
point to the digital object:

<snip>

<pubPlace>
  <ptr type="purl" target="{url}"/>
  <ptr type="thumbnailForPresentations" target="{url}"/>
</pubPlace>
<idno type=""><!-- identification e.g., URN or GND number --></idno>

</snip>

To link to individual pages via <facsimile> and @facs is preferable
though, I would say.

Thoughts?

Best, Torsten

--
Torsten Schassan - Digitale Editionen, Abteilung Handschriften und
Sondersammlungen
Handschriftendatenbank <http://diglib.hab.de/?db=mss>
MLH

msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

MLH
Thank you for the responses to this question. I have a related one which might muddy the waters - where in a msDesc (or containing file) would you link to an IIIF manifest - assuming you wanted to do such a thing?

Matthew

Re: msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

Pietro Liuzzo
Dear Matthew

We add it in msIdentifier/idno/@facs, but I would also like to know if this is acceptable practice. For example

We do the same for our own manifests of course, but in that case the manifest is generated with a xquery transformation from the TEI (early version of this is here: https://github.com/BetaMasaheft/BetMas/blob/master/BetaMasaheft2.2/modules/iiif.xql, will be updated mid October with a newer version with more documentation) and we only provide in @facs the minimum required path for the images on the server.

<idno facs="KAE/011/KAE-011_" n="66">KAE-011</idno>

which will respond to this request http://betamasaheft.eu/api/iiif/ESkae011/manifest with a manifest generated from the TEI where the above is contained.

We also add the relevant part of canvases uri to locus/@facs

<locus from="3r" to="10v" facs="0006"/>

or
depending on the content of msIdentifier/idno/@facs

We expose also a version of our TEI where these are made explicit in the following way
<locus from="3r" to="10v" facs="http://betamasaheft.eu/api/iiif/ESkae011/canvas/p6"/>

as stated above, I would also be very glad to know what other think about this encoding.

Thanks!
Pietro

Pietro Maria Liuzzo
cel (DE): +49 (0) 176 61 000 606
Skype: pietro.liuzzo (Quingentole)
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/pietroliuzzo

MLH

Re: msDesc - references to digital facsimiles held elsewhere

MLH

Dear Pietro,

Thanks for sharing your encoding. I'm not sure how I would feel about using `@facs` to point to a JSON file, but it would be good to hear other thoughts on this!

I had previously thought that the most logical place to link to the manifest would be in the <facsimile> element, but I can't think of a conformant way of doing this. Otherwise <surrogates> seems like a potential candidate.

 <surrogates>
        <bibl type="digital-facsimile" subtype="full">
                <title facs="http://digital.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/inquire/p/378bf1f5-a728-4b9e-aa4d-3fd20f59ef13">Digital.Bodleian</title>
          </bibl>
 </surrogates>

I am thinking of two use cases at the moment: (1) users of the catalogue should be able to search for any manuscripts with digital images (whether IIIF or otherwise), so I'm hoping to find a consistent way of referring to IIIF and non IIIF images/facsimiles (2) (less important) implementing IIIF drag-and-drop.

Matthew