(no subject)

Dovilė Gervytė
Dear list,

Would You have any ideas on how to indicate the time distance, which
is presupposed between two different points in the same manuscript
while it'd been being written?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

D.G.

(no subject)

Lou Burnard-6

If I understand this question correctly, I think the @change attribute is the one you are looking for. You use it to point to predefined <change> elements in the header, each of which identifies a supposed time slot. So:

In the header you might have

<listChange>

<change xml:id="T1">Written between 1200 and 1250</change>

<change xml:id="T2">Written around 1250</change>

<change xml:id="T3">Written after lunch on a sunny day in the early fifteenth century</change>

</listChange>

and in the text

<ab change="#T2">blah blah blah</ab>

<ab change="#T1">more blah</ab>

or similarly using <line> or whatever other elements you are using in your transcript

But I may have completely misunderstood you! Please post an example if so.

D.G.

Re: time between locations

Peter Flynn-8
I think the milestone element can be used for this.

///Peter

On 8 July 2018 10:08:42 Dovilė Gervytė <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Would You have any ideas on how to indicate the time distance, which
> is presupposed between two different points in the same manuscript
> while it'd been being written?
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> D.G.

Re: time between locations

Gerrit Brüning
*Peter Flynn:*
> I think the milestone element can be used for this.

Dear Peter, dear Dovil, dear all,

Peter's suggestion makes sense to me because the boundaries between the layers of a witness may be recorded independently of its structural hierarchy.
However, @unit is required on the milestone element. What do you think could be a good value for this attribute? I tend to say that it's unit="change", but I would like to hear other opinions. (Normally the value of @unit indicates some kind of structural unit.)

Best,

Gerrit

---
Dr. Gerrit Brüning
Freies Deutsches Hochstift | Historisch-kritische Edition von Goethes Faust | beta.faustedition.net
Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main | Institut für deutsche Literatur und ihre Didaktik | IG-Hochhaus 1.155