-ography for "things"?

Ben Brumfield
I'm trying to use TEI-XML as a lossless export format for texts edited in FromThePage, the collaborative transcription/translation tool I run, and have a question for the group.

FromThePage has the concept of a "subject" that appears within the text, which is basically any sort of thing that would appear as a term in an index.  These may be people, places, organizations, but also scientific species recorded by a naturalist, items sold by a storekeeper, sicknesses, barn-raisings, culinary dishes, weather, or any other item classified within an edition-specific ontology.  In addition to classification, each subject has a canonical title and may also have a biographical entry.

I'm already using the -ography section of the TEI header to generate entries for Persons and Places, using personList, person, persName and note elements (or the corresponding versions for Places).  Each exported person has a nice id which can be used for a ref attribute within rs elements within the text.

My question is this:  is there a generic equivalent for person/personList/persName?  Is anyone creating "thing-ographies"?  If not, how are you handling references to e.g. "piloncillo" within a text, which is an indexable term but which also requires definition?

Ben W. Brumfield
http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.com/
http://fromthepage.com/

http://fromthepage.com/

Re: -ography for "things"?

Hi Ben,

Is this along the lines of a glossary (in which case glossary-type lists
would be appropriate
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COLI>) or
is it something more substantial like a taxonomy?

On 2017-02-06 08:22 AM, Ben Brumfield wrote:

> I'm trying to use TEI-XML as a lossless export format for texts edited in FromThePage, the collaborative transcription/translation tool I run, and have a question for the group.
>
> FromThePage has the concept of a "subject" that appears within the text, which is basically any sort of thing that would appear as a term in an index.  These may be people, places, organizations, but also scientific species recorded by a naturalist, items sold by a storekeeper, sicknesses, barn-raisings, culinary dishes, weather, or any other item classified within an edition-specific ontology.  In addition to classification, each subject has a canonical title and may also have a biographical entry.
>
> I'm already using the -ography section of the TEI header to generate entries for Persons and Places, using personList, person, persName and note elements (or the corresponding versions for Places).  Each exported person has a nice id which can be used for a ref attribute within rs elements within the text.
>
> My question is this:  is there a generic equivalent for person/personList/persName?  Is anyone creating "thing-ographies"?  If not, how are you handling references to e.g. "piloncillo" within a text, which is an indexable term but which also requires definition?
>
> Ben W. Brumfield
> http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.com/
> http://fromthepage.com/

Re: -ography for "things"?

Ben Brumfield
Many thanks to Joe and Martin for pointing me to the taxonomy/category/catdesc elements.  I wasn't familiar with them at all, but they look like exactly what I need!

I have a follow-on question.  When encoding names of people or places in an -ography section of the TEI header, I'm able to generate either persName/placeName elements or name elements with a type attribute of the appropriate value.  Either of these options would work fine from a software development angle, but the editors using the tool to produce TEI-XML for later editing are less likely to hand-code XSL transformations on the output than they are to open the files in Oxygen and continue editing.  Are type-specific elements like persName/placeName more common in the editorial world than generic name elements with types?  I've only worked on a handful of hand-coded TEI editions, but my impression is that type-specific elements are ubiquitous.

Ben