Quantcast

place attribute for stage

Martin Mueller

Is there a case to be made for giving <stage> a @place attribute? Marginal stage directions are very common in the Jonson folio of 1616, and I’ve run across them in quite a few other plays. One could use @rendition in such place, but it looks a little forced. And stage directions in the margins remind you that a stage direction is a very close relative of <note> and may be the thing itself.

Re: place attribute for stage

Lou Burnard-6
The stage element as defined in tei already has this attribute. Are you are asking why it was removed from teiSimplePrint ?

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

Re: place attribute for stage

Martin Mueller

Sorry, I didn’t look closely enough at the general TEI spec. The answer is ‘yes’ . One of the major constraints of this project was that whatever else it did it should accommodate projects like EEBO TCP.

The recent correspondence about the <space> element and in particular Michael Sperberg McQueen’s observations suggest that <space> should also be In teiSimplePrint.

From: Lou Burnard <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 5:05 PM
To: Martin Mueller <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: place attribute for stage