pretty printing sgml

Lou Burnard-7
Sorry, but I am going to be doctrinaire about this. SGML is not meant to
be read by people. If you want to pretty-print it, use something like
LECTOR which will deal with the things that SGML tags identify properly,
and without any tags at all. The SGML standard is fairly idiosyncratic
in its rules about where white space and record ends are significant (it
isn't illogical -- just different from what you might expect). Depending
on the particular content model, it is quite likely that some parseable
document might become unparseable if pretty-printed  à la Amsler.
In which case, there's no point in not going the whole hog and
formatting them beautifully. There's a useful summary of the relevant
rules in van Herwijnen so I won't rehearse them here.

Lou

Re: pretty printing sgml

Michael S. Hart-2
On Wed, 14 Nov 90 11:39:00 GMT Lou Burnard said:

>Sorry, but I am going to be doctrinaire about this. SGML is not meant to
>be read by people. If you want to pretty-print it, use something like
>LECTOR which will deal with the things that SGML tags identify properly,
>and without any tags at all. The SGML standard is fairly idiosyncratic
>in its rules about where white space and record ends are significant (it
>isn't illogical -- just different from what you might expect). Depending
>on the particular content model, it is quite likely that some parseable
>document might become unparseable if pretty-printed  à la Amsler.
>In which case, there's no point in not going the whole hog and
>formatting them beautifully. There's a useful summary of the relevant
>rules in van Herwijnen so I won't rehearse them here.
>
>Lou

I was informed that TEI-L was for the purpose of discussing the proposal
or proposals which might the the future products of the TEI.  This would
not suggest that the TEI-L discussion was to be dominated by individual,
or oligarchical comments or that the TEI or TEI-L were to be ineffectual
due to the cast-in-stone policies of SGML.  While I was aware of a (more
or less) interlocking directorate of TEI, TEI-L, SGML, OTA, etc, it must
be of a different nature than that which I gleaned from my invititations
to join TEI-L.  It would perhaps be wise to reestablish the ground rules
and the purpose of TEI, TEI-L AND SGML.  I was once promised mailing(s),
from several different sources on these matters.  The closest place that
could be mailed from is Chicago, so if Michael Sperberg-McQueen would be
so kind. . . .

Thank you for your interest,

Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg

INTERNET:  [hidden email]
BITNET:    [hidden email]

The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
the views of any person or institution.  Neither Prof
Hart nor Project Gutenberg have any official contacts
with the University of Illinois.

"NOTICE:  Due to the shortage of ROBOTS and COMPUTERS
 some of our workers are HUMAN and therefore will act
 unpredictably when abused."