Quantcast

question about attribute @writtenLines (metadata)

Emmanuelle Morlock
Dear list,

I was just wondering why the attribute @writtenLines on layout can contain either one or two numbers (to represent the number of lines of one or two columns), but not more.

My question is mainly out of curiosity, I don’t have any use case, but it just seems slightly odd (the I may assume that in the manuscript world it’s very rare to have more than two columns…) but what if ? How would you do if you had more than two columns ?

thanks !
Emmanuelle Morlock
IE CNRS - Humanités numériques & TEI (Text Encoding Initiative)
UMR 5189 HISoMA (Histoire et Sources des Mondes antiques) - Lyon
http://www.hisoma.mom.fr/annuaire/morlock-emmanuelle
06 85 84 69 16
@emma_morlock

Re: question about attribute @writtenLines (metadata)

Franz Fischer-2
Dear Emmanuelle,

I think this is a misunderstanding. The explanatory note on @writtenLines in the specification of <layout/> reads:

"If a single number is given, all columns have this number of written lines. If two numbers are given, the number of written lines per column varies between the values supplied."
(see http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-layout.html)

In case the number of written lines varies say between 90 and 100 per coumn - no matter if there is one column or two or even three columns - you may encode it in the following way:
<layout writtenLines="90 100"/>

That is, the two numbers (not digits) specify a range (not a sum).

All best,
Franz

--
Dr. Franz Fischer
Cologne Center for eHumanities

cceh.uni-koeln.de, dixit.uni-koeln.de
i-d-e.de, ride.i-d-e.de
digitalmedievalist.org, digitalmedievalist.org/journal
guillelmus.uni-koeln.de, confessio.ie