Quantcast

"May contain: Empty element"

John P. McCaskey-2

While I’m at it . . . I’m guessing this has long ago been settled, but I’ll ask anyway.

When the spec for an element says “May contain: Empty element“ that does not actually mean the spec’d element can contain any other element as long as the contained one is empty, right? It actually means “May contain: No other element,“ right?

Should that be changed?

John

Re: "May contain: Empty element"

Lou Burnard-6
On 03/05/17 16:19, John P. McCaskey wrote:
When the spec for an element says “May contain: Empty element“ that does not actually mean the spec’d element can contain any other element as long as the contained one is empty, right? It actually means “May contain: No other element,“ right?

Should that be changed?

The "may contain" part is boiler plate text provided by the stylesheet in various languages: it might be tricky to change it. The other part is meant to imply that the element in question cannot contain anything, i.e. it is empty. Since there is now a proposal in the works (see https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/1596)  to allow for an empty content model to be represented in an ODD by using an explicit element called "<empty/>"   that text maybe needs to be revisited. You might like to raise a Stylesheets ticket to remind someone to review it.