sourceDesc and pointers

Joey Takeda
Hi all,

To ask another sourceDesc question: what is best practice for pointing to a bibliographic entry that is contained in a standoff bibliography in the <sourceDesc>? I want to do something like this:

<sourceDesc>
<ptr target="BIBL1.xml#myBibl"/>
</sourceDesc>

where BIBL1.xml#myBibl is a <bibl> element that describes the source I am transcribing; however, <ptr> isn't allowed in <sourceDesc>. I could wrap a <p> around the <ptr>, but that feels like a hack. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joey

Re: sourceDesc and pointers

Lou Burnard-6
You could replace the <ptr> with a <bibl>

<sourceDesc>
<bibl sameAs="BIBL1.xml#myBibl"/>
</sourceDesc>

I don't know if that counts as "best practice" but it makes more sense
to me than

<sourceDesc>
<bibl>
<ptr target="BIBL1.xml#myBibl"/>
</bibl>
  </sourceDesc>

which is also possible...

On 23/05/18 20:37, Joey Takeda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To ask another sourceDesc question: what is best practice for pointing to a bibliographic entry that is contained in a standoff bibliography in the <sourceDesc>? I want to do something like this:
>
> <sourceDesc>
> <ptr target="BIBL1.xml#myBibl"/>
> </sourceDesc>
>
> where BIBL1.xml#myBibl is a <bibl> element that describes the source I am transcribing; however, <ptr> isn't allowed in <sourceDesc>. I could wrap a <p> around the <ptr>, but that feels like a hack. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Joey

TEI tag reference <biblStruct> example

Charles Muller-5
Dear Colleagues,

I don't know who is maintaining the TEI tag references, but whenever I
teach TEI and bibliographies to my students, I find the <biblStruct>
example not so great, and there is only one:

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-biblStruct.html

I have my own set of example on my web site, which I would be happy to
offer to the TEI. Please just copy and paste, if you find this useful:

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/bibliography/bibnotes.html

(scroll down for the examples)

Regards,

Chuck

--

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller, Professor

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Re: TEI tag reference <biblStruct> example

Charles Muller-5
Dear Colleagues,

> I don't know who is maintaining the TEI tag references, but whenever I
> teach TEI and bibliographies to my students, I find the <biblStruct>
> example not so great, and there is only one:

I failed to notice the "show more" link. Obviously the present set of
examples is sufficient, so please ignore. (I would just suggest that in
order to import/export <biblStruct> to other bibliographical database
formats, one really needs to apply <surname> and <forename> all the time)

My apologies.

Chuck

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller, Professor

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Re: TEI tag reference <biblStruct> example

James Cummings-5

Hi Chuck,

I think you are right that our examples can usually be improved.   The 'Show More' is useful in that it pulls all the examples which contain that element from within the prose of the Guidelines as a whole. Nonetheless, I would suggest we might be able to improve the example on the reference page.

I've put in an issue on the github repository to make sure we don't forget to do so at some point. https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/1773 The 'we' of course being your elected TEI Technical Council... though of course if others wish to submit patches/pull requests to the GitHub repository 'dev' branch to improve our examples more quickly that is also good.

Best wishes,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]

School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University

> I don't know who is maintaining the TEI tag references, but whenever I
> teach TEI and bibliographies to my students, I find the <biblStruct>
> example not so great, and there is only one:

I failed to notice the "show more" link. Obviously the present set of
examples is sufficient, so please ignore. (I would just suggest that in
order to import/export <biblStruct> to other bibliographical database
formats, one really needs to apply <surname> and <forename> all the time)

My apologies.

Chuck

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller, Professor

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Re: TEI tag reference <biblStruct> example

Janelle Jenstad

It took me a ridiculously long time (years!) to notice the tiny “See more” link at the far right of my screen.  More examples are always better, but a more prominent link to the examples would also be welcome!

Your middle-aged, visually challenged colleague,

Janelle