titlePage containing a bibliographic reference to an earlier edition

titlePage containing a bibliographic reference to an earlier edition

Christian Thomas

Dear TEI-L readers, for the Deutsches Textarchiv and the Digital Humanities Cooperation of the Technische Universität Darmstadt and the Universität Konstanz (head: Thomas Weitin) we are encoding a collection/anthology of novels.

Some novels contain a <bibl>iographic reference to an earlier edition of that same text, e.g. a newspaper where the novel now reprinted in the anthology first appeared. An example can be found here:
Andolt, Ernst [d. i. Bernhard Abeken]: Eine Nacht. In: Deutscher Novellenschatz. Hrsg. von Paul Heyse und Hermann Kurz. Bd. 22. 2. Aufl. Berlin, [1910], S. 211–287. In: Deutsches Textarchiv <http://www.deutschestextarchiv.de/andolt_nacht_1910/4>, abgerufen am 09.08.2017,
where "Westermann's Illustrirte Monatshefte. 1857." designates the place of the first publication of that text, i.e. clearly a <bibl>iographic reference. However, <bibl> is not allowed on itself on a <titlePage> -- by the way: why not? --, so it must be wrapped, e.g. with some @type of <titlePart> like "desc" or with a specified <docEdition> tag.

As a first proposal, we decided for <titlePart type="desc">, but I am not really happy with it, because "Westermann's Illustrirte Monatshefte. 1857." is in no way a "descriptive paraphrase of the work" (cf. http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-titlePart.html).

<docEdition> at first glance seemed to fit better according to its description as containing "an edition statement as presented on a title page of a document". On the other hand, we would generally use <docEdition> to annotate phrases like "2nd, revised Edition", etc. on title pages, i.e. information concerning the text actually represented in the TEI-document I am working on, but not to wrap it around references to earlier editions of that same text given on the titlePage. Then we thought, we could add a @type-value to that particular <docEdition> to distinguish it from the one usually appearing on the titlePages stating the edition of the text presented on the pages following the titlePage. But @type is not allowed for <docEdition>... So this is not the solution.

Do you have any other suggestions or examples from your own experience?

Thanks in advance for hints and comments, best wishes
Christian

--
Christian Thomas
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Jägerstr. 22/23
10117 Berlin
Raum:   154
Tel.:   +49 (0)30 20370 523
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: titlePage containing a bibliographic reference to an earlier edition

Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Dear Christian,
This is a good challenge, because it shows us the difficulty of negotiating the descriptive and the semantic dimensions of title pages. If this were my project, I'd prefer the use of <docEdition> and wrapping that around bibl, and I'd also consider (using XPath relationships as a flag) that the simple presence of a bibl inside a docEdition element would set it apart from the other ways you're applying it (where we don't expect to see a bibl).

That said, would it be a terrible thing to use an @ana on docEdition to give it a classification? I'm not sure a classifying attribute is really necessary if XPath can show the difference between two applications of docEdition, but I imagine a lot depends on how you expect to process the documents.

If @type is preferable, of course you could work it into an ODD schema to customize your use of docEdition. But perhaps it's not necessary.

Hope this helps,
Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Christian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tel.:   <a href="tel:+49%2030%2020370523" value="+493020370523" target="_blank">+49 (0)30 20370 523
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: titlePage containing a bibliographic reference to an earlier edition

Christian Thomas

Dear Elisa, thank you for your mail and please excuse the late reply -- I was hoping, others might join in. But I guess the matter should be settled very much as you suggested:

Am 09.08.2017 um 16:13 schrieb Elisa Beshero-Bondar:
Dear Christian,
This is a good challenge, because it shows us the difficulty of negotiating the descriptive and the semantic dimensions of title pages. If this were my project, I'd prefer the use of <docEdition> and wrapping that around bibl, and I'd also consider (using XPath relationships as a flag) that the simple presence of a bibl inside a docEdition element would set it apart from the other ways you're applying it (where we don't expect to see a bibl).

We now have two places with <docEdition> in the document, one being on the <titlePage type="main">
http://www.deutschestextarchiv.de/andolt_nacht_1910/1, XPath: /TEI/text/front/titlePage/docEdition
and the other one on the <titlePage type="halftitle">, where <docEdition> is wrapping the <bibl> I could not use there without any element around it:
http://www.deutschestextarchiv.de/andolt_nacht_1910/4, XPath: /TEI/text/front/titlePage/docEdition/bibl
@ana, to me, seems to unspecific, and while I would prefer to add a @type to the <docEdition> element, we do want to keep the DTA Base Format fully TEI_all-conformant. Unless others feel that need to, it does not seem necessary enough for the community to raise the issue of allowing @type inside <docEdition>.

Thanks again and all the best
Christian

[...]

Tel.:   <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:+49%2030%2020370523" value="+493020370523" target="_blank">+49 (0)30 20370 523
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Christian Thomas
[hidden email]
@dta_cthomas